Latin adjectives question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latin adjectives question

Why do the LCI and FF books teach the order of declensions for adjectives differently than the order of declensions for nouns? It seems for adjectives they should read/memorize the adjective forms from left to right, as opposed to vertically. I am wondering what the learning rationale for this is. My kids are finding it really difficult, and so far I have just let them decline adjectives as they would nouns, and find the proper ending that way- but is there significant learning advantage to making them learn it left to right? Is it just so that they get better at picking out the proper ending without having to go through the whole list every time, or is there more to it?

Thank you!

Maria
    DD 12, using 6M core with 7th Grade COTR
    DS 10, using 5M core

Re: Latin adjectives question

Originally posted by Maria2 View Post
    Why do the LCI and FF books teach the order of declensions for adjectives differently than the order of declensions for nouns? It seems for adjectives they should read/memorize the adjective forms from left to right, as opposed to vertically. I am wondering what the learning rationale for this is. My kids are finding it really difficult, and so far I have just let them decline adjectives as they would nouns, and find the proper ending that way- but is there significant learning advantage to making them learn it left to right? Is it just so that they get better at picking out the proper ending without having to go through the whole list every time, or is there more to it?

Thank you!

Maria
    We do prefer students to recite the adjectives horizontally. Paul gave an excellent summary of why that I will quote:

Originally posted by pschaeffer View Post
    We recommend learning the adjectival forms horizontally to help the students differentiate between nouns and adjectives and prepare them for pronouns [which are also recited horizontally]. Later, when [students] learn the 3rd declension, knowing the endings horizontally will help them remember that agreeing in person, number, and case, does not necessarily mean the same ending.
    Horizontal is definitely more challenging. Paul further notes that "[S]ome programs suggest learning horizontally while others do not." Again, we believe horizontal is better, but that vertical is not wrong per se.

HTH!
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Comment

Re: Latin adjectives question

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      We do prefer students to recite the adjectives horizontally. Paul gave an excellent summary of why that I will quote:

Horizontal is definitely more challenging. Paul further notes that "[S]ome programs suggest learning horizontally while others do not." Again, we believe horizontal is better, but that vertical is not wrong per se.

HTH!
      Thanks very much Michael, this helps a lot. It's so much easier to make my kids do things the hard way if I can give them a good reason why.
      DD 12, using 6M core with 7th Grade COTR
      DS 10, using 5M core

Comment

Working...
      X