X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by scatherine View Post
    I came looking for help for my students on this very same question. I think this has cleared it up for us...So "the test" is 'the subject of its own sentence." What we had previously understood was that it had to do with the meaning of the sentence - and since (in this example) it is 'Julia's (own) horse', we were thrown off.
    Correct! The grammatical subject is what matters when it comes to choosing between sui/suus and is, ea, id.

Leave a comment:

• scatherine
    replied
    I came looking for help for my students on this very same question. I think this has cleared it up for us...So "the test" is 'the subject of its own sentence." What we had previously understood was that it had to do with the meaning of the sentence - and since (in this example) it is 'Julia's (own) horse', we were thrown off.

Leave a comment:

• StephH
    replied
    Re: TFL Lesson 15 Extra Help Please

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    You're very welcome! Yes, in the sentence "Her horse is fast," the word "horse" is the subject because it performs the action of the verb "is." "Julia" was the subject of the first sentence, "Julia has a horse." In that sentence, "horse" is a direct object because it receives the action of the verb "has."

Since the subject of the second sentence is "horse," the word "her" is not referring to the subject of its own sentence, but rather a word in another sentence. Thus, "is ea id" is used. It does not matter that "Julia" is the subject of the first sentence. It only matters whether the 3rd-person pronoun refers to the subject of its own sentence.

Does that make more sense?
    Yes, that does. Thank you so very much!

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied

Originally posted by StephH View Post
    This is her daughter. I think I am struggling with choosing the right gender of the 3rd-person pronouns. In the textbook, it says to use is ea id for non-reflexive pronouns and suus sua suum for reflexive pronouns. In the workbook on Section IV, Drill G, #7, to fill in the blank, I thought it would be a form of suus sua suum. Instead, the answer was a form of is ea id. Is this because the subject is the horse, not Julia?? If so, will you please give me some more clarification on how to rightly determine the subject of the sentence?

Thank you for taking the time to help a student like me!
    You're very welcome! Yes, in the sentence "Her horse is fast," the word "horse" is the subject because it performs the action of the verb "is." "Julia" was the subject of the first sentence, "Julia has a horse." In that sentence, "horse" is a direct object because it receives the action of the verb "has."

Since the subject of the second sentence is "horse," the word "her" is not referring to the subject of its own sentence, but rather a word in another sentence. Thus, "is ea id" is used. It does not matter that "Julia" is the subject of the first sentence. It only matters whether the 3rd-person pronoun refers to the subject of its own sentence.

Does that make more sense?

Leave a comment:

• StephH
    replied

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Hello,

I'm sorry to hear your student is struggling! Can you give some specifics on what she doesn't understand and what the Student Text seems to not explain? Is she struggling with choosing the right gender of the 3rd-person pronoun (e.g. using "ea" with "mensa" because "mensa" is feminine)? Subject-verb agreement (e.g. "Is vocat" for "He calls")? Translating the 3rd-person pronoun when it refers to inanimate objects in English (e.g. "ea" means "it" when referring to "mensa")? The more specifics we have, the better we can help!
    This is her daughter. I think I am struggling with choosing the right gender of the 3rd-person pronouns. In the textbook, it says to use is ea id for non-reflexive pronouns and suus sua suum for reflexive pronouns. In the workbook on Section IV, Drill G, #7, to fill in the blank, I thought it would be a form of suus sua suum. Instead, the answer was a form of is ea id. Is this because the subject is the horse, not Julia?? If so, will you please give me some more clarification on how to rightly determine the subject of the sentence?

Thank you for taking the time to help a student like me!

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied

Originally posted by StephH View Post
    My 15 year old is really struggling with Lesson 15 this week. I'm looking for suggestions on where to get more help with 3rd-person pronouns. She is SO confused and I don't know how to help her. The Student Text doesn't seem to give enough information for this lesson. Thank you so much!
    Hello,

I'm sorry to hear your student is struggling! Can you give some specifics on what she doesn't understand and what the Student Text seems to not explain? Is she struggling with choosing the right gender of the 3rd-person pronoun (e.g. using "ea" with "mensa" because "mensa" is feminine)? Subject-verb agreement (e.g. "Is vocat" for "He calls")? Translating the 3rd-person pronoun when it refers to inanimate objects in English (e.g. "ea" means "it" when referring to "mensa")? The more specifics we have, the better we can help!

Leave a comment:

• StephH
    started a topic TFL Lesson 15 Extra Help Please

TFL Lesson 15 Extra Help Please

My 15 year old is really struggling with Lesson 15 this week. I'm looking for suggestions on where to get more help with 3rd-person pronouns. She is SO confused and I don't know how to help her. The Student Text doesn't seem to give enough information for this lesson. Thank you so much!
Working...
X