Workbook help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Workbook help

1. How do I help my son, 5th grade, answer questions about Bible verses in his CSII workbook?

2. How do I help him with Fables? This is all new to me. I feel like he's suffering because of this. We are both frustrated.

Thanks,
    Natalie

Re: Workbook help

Originally posted by nmcannon2 View Post
    1. How do I help my son, 5th grade, answer questions about Bible verses in his CSII workbook?

2. How do I help him with Fables? This is all new to me. I feel like he's suffering because of this. We are both frustrated.

Thanks,
    Natalie
    Hello,

I am very sorry you and your son are feeling frustrated. We will definitely do our best to answer your questions.

1. For Christian Studies II, are you referring to the questions directly beneath and about the Memory Verse? If so, these are meant to guide your student toward a deeper understanding of the verse. Use them as prompts. If your student struggles to answer one of them, you may use the Teacher Manual to give part or all of the answer. Again, the goal is for the student to understand the deeper meaning of the verse. The Comprehension Questions on the facing page cover the assigned reading from the Golden Children's Bible.

2. Do not feel bad if Fable seems new! The program does have a bit of a learning curve, but we truly believe the benefits of this ancient method of teaching writing are worth it. (Maybe some other parents will chime in how they learned Fable.) Every lesson follows the same pattern, so after one or two, they will go faster and more smoothly. Do you have the Teacher Guide? It will lead you step be step through the lesson. Note that each "lesson" is meant to be done over two weeks, not in a single day or two. If you can provide more specifics on the exact assignment or assignments that are confusing, we can provide better advice.

I hope this helps get you started, and please follow-up with additional questions if necessary!
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Comment

Re: Workbook help

Hello! I hope I'm not overstepping here, but what specific questions is your son struggling with in his Fables studies? I have 2 kiddos working through Fables right now and it's going pretty well; however, they do sometimes need a little prompting from me to get things going. For example, during the first few lessons, I write out the skeleton of the outline on our whiteboard (the Roman numberals, letters, etc.) and then the kids try to fill it in. They'll talk through what goes where on the outline, I write their answers up on the board and they copy it in their books. Gradually, they're able to begin piecing together an outline on their own.

With regard to the Variations, I have them give my synonyms for the words in question. When they get stuck, I give them prompts or have them crack open the thesaurus for help. With regard to Recognition, Reversal and Suffering, we talk through these and then the kids write the answers down in their workbooks. We have found that, though it feels clunky and tedious at first, this approach to composition works wonders for their writing skills. Once they have a few lessons under their belts, their ability to put together an outline and their re-writes are really quite good. It does get easier with time!

We are also doing CSII. My kids prefer to answer the questions orally as we go through the reading, then go back and fill the answers in their workbooks. As Michael pointed out, the questions on the right hand side of the page we use as discussion questions - we don't generally write them out. Also, when the kids give me oral answers, I help them to tweak them so that their answer will fit onto the lines given in the workbook. (I hope that makes sense!)
      Mary

DD14 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I + Latin IV
      DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science
      DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Working...
      X