Classical Composition: Narrative Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Classical Composition: Narrative Question

CC Narrative experts, give this momma some help.

We're at the point of Week 1 where the assignment reads -- Condense the narrative, eliminate any unnecessary adverbs, adjectives, phrases or clauses.

First -- does this simply mean strip the paraphrase down to bare bones? I want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly.

And -- can someone explain the logic behind this step? This is new to us from last year's Fable. My daughter gets set in her ways, and this new angle is causing her a bit of angst.
    Plans for 2019-20

DD1 - 24 - College Grad and rocking her own bakery business
    DD2 - 13 - 8A Louisville HLS Cottage School and MPOA
    DS3 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
    DS4 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
    DD5 - 7 - MP2, Louisville HLS Cottage School
    DS6 - 5 - MP K

[url]www.thekennedyadventures.com/all-about-our-memoria-press-homeschool[/url]

Re: Classical Composition: Narrative Question

I got this answer from Dayna, our resident CC editor:

Yes, it just means to strip the story down to its bare bones; to it's simplest structure. The point of the exercise is to have students understand the essential elements of the narrative. It helps students isolate the characters and actions and conflict of the story apart from any embellishments (like figures of description or speech). You can make it a kind of game, where you try to take out as much as possible while still leaving a story that is understandable.

Does this help?

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
      I got this answer from Dayna, our resident CC editor:

Yes, it just means to strip the story down to its bare bones; to it's simplest structure. The point of the exercise is to have students understand the essential elements of the narrative. It helps students isolate the characters and actions and conflict of the story apart from any embellishments (like figures of description or speech). You can make it a kind of game, where you try to take out as much as possible while still leaving a story that is understandable.

Does this help?

Tanya
      This is perfect! Thank you!
      Plans for 2019-20

DD1 - 24 - College Grad and rocking her own bakery business
      DD2 - 13 - 8A Louisville HLS Cottage School and MPOA
      DS3 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
      DS4 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
      DD5 - 7 - MP2, Louisville HLS Cottage School
      DS6 - 5 - MP K

[url]www.thekennedyadventures.com/all-about-our-memoria-press-homeschool[/url]

Comment

Dianna,
        Two approaches:

A really easy way to do this is to provide your student a photo-copied version of the Narrative and then let them mark through the "excess." I like stripping it down to basically the simple subject and simple predicates: removing as many prepositional phrases as possible and definitely the figures of description/extra adjectives and adverbs.

An opposite approach is to give them the copy and have them highlight the subject and main verb in each sentence, then see what's left. Keep the necessary words in, toss the unnecessary words out.

It's my kids favorite paraphrase exercise because it's always the shortest!

Hope this helps...
        Festina lentē,
        Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
        @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
        S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
        D · 8th
        D · 5th
        S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Working...