Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Second Form Latin Quiz #1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Second Form Latin Quiz #1

    All righty, fine Latin friends.

    Magnum equum videt.

    Can someone help me with this one?

    Rachel answered with:
    The large horse sees.

    The TM gives the answer as HSI sees the large horse.

    Can someone help me explain this to her?

    Disclaimer: I don't teach Latin in my house (yet). I hire it out.
    Plans for 2019-20

    DD1 - 24 - College Grad and rocking her own bakery business
    DD2 - 13 - 8A Louisville HLS Cottage School and MPOA
    DS3 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
    DS4 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
    DD5 - 7 - MP2, Louisville HLS Cottage School
    DS6 - 5 - MP K

    [url]www.thekennedyadventures.com/all-about-our-memoria-press-homeschool[/url]

    #2
    Re: Second Form Latin Quiz #1

    Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post
    All righty, fine Latin friends.

    Magnum equum videt.

    Can someone help me with this one?

    Rachel answered with:
    The large horse sees.

    The TM gives the answer as HSI sees the large horse.

    Can someone help me explain this to her?

    Disclaimer: I don't teach Latin in my house (yet). I hire it out.
    I've written this reply so you can just show it to your daughter

    The subject of a Latin verb has to be in the nominative case. The Latin word for "horse," equus, is 2nd-delcension masculine, so it would decline as follows in the singular:

    Nominative: equus
    Genitive: equi
    Dative: equo
    Accusative: equum
    Ablative: equo

    Thus, in the sentence "Magnum equum videt," equum is in the accusative case, which is used for direct objects. Therefore, magnum equum has to be the object of videt and cannot be the subject. The correct translation is "HSI sees the large horse."

    If either of you have further questions, let me know!
    Michael
    Memoria Press

    Comment


      #3
      Re: Second Form Latin Quiz #1

      Originally posted by Michael View Post
      I've written this reply so you can just show it to your daughter

      The subject of a Latin verb has to be in the nominative case. The Latin word for "horse," equus, is 2nd-delcension masculine, so it would decline as follows in the singular:

      Nominative: equus
      Genitive: equi
      Dative: equo
      Accusative: equum
      Ablative: equo

      Thus, in the sentence "Magnum equum videt," equum is in the accusative case, which is used for direct objects. Therefore, magnum equum has to be the object of videt and cannot be the subject. The correct translation is "HSI sees the large horse."

      If either of you have further questions, let me know!
      Will you let me know where they started diving into direct objects? (I'm assuming somewhere back in First Form?)
      I think she might have gotten off track there. She mentioned accusative case, but it sounds like she may have gotten things a little backward. We might need to review that section a bit more. She answered the other two questions in that section correctly, but they were going from English to Latin.
      Plans for 2019-20

      DD1 - 24 - College Grad and rocking her own bakery business
      DD2 - 13 - 8A Louisville HLS Cottage School and MPOA
      DS3 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
      DS4 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
      DD5 - 7 - MP2, Louisville HLS Cottage School
      DS6 - 5 - MP K

      [url]www.thekennedyadventures.com/all-about-our-memoria-press-homeschool[/url]

      Comment


        #4
        Re: Second Form Latin Quiz #1

        Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post
        Will you let me know where they started diving into direct objects? (I'm assuming somewhere back in First Form?)
        I think she might have gotten off track there. She mentioned accusative case, but it sounds like she may have gotten things a little backward. We might need to review that section a bit more. She answered the other two questions in that section correctly, but they were going from English to Latin.
        Sure, direct objects were first taught in Lesson 24 of First Form.
        Michael
        Memoria Press

        Comment

        Working...
        X