First Form- Perfect tense- Lesson 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Form- Perfect tense- Lesson 8

I understand that perfect tense has 3 forms- simple, progressive, and emphatic. If a student is consistently writing the meanings of the emphatic tense on their quizzes in the grammar charts, would it still be correct? She often mixes up the imperfect and perfect tense, so I would really like her to learn the perfect tense with the helping verb "have".
    The model chart in the lesson shows the perfect form with the word have and that is how the answer key shows it.

For example, for quiz 8 she wrote I did stand for the meaning of steti. Should I count it correct, since technically it is.

Re: First Form- Perfect tense- Lesson 8

Originally posted by angie alita View Post
    I understand that perfect tense has 3 forms- simple, progressive, and emphatic. If a student is consistently writing the meanings of the emphatic tense on their quizzes in the grammar charts, would it still be correct? She often mixes up the imperfect and perfect tense, so I would really like her to learn the perfect tense with the helping verb "have".
    The model chart in the lesson shows the perfect form with the word have and that is how the answer key shows it.

For example, for quiz 8 she wrote I did stand for the meaning of steti. Should I count it correct, since technically it is.
    All three translations are correct. However, your student does need to become comfortable with all three translations, not just one. She might be using "did" because it helps her to distinguish the perfect from the imperfect. I would work on the distinction between those two tenses using the "normal" translations. The main distinction is that the imperfect is used for an ongoing action and the perfect for completed action.

I was walking (and I might or might not still be walking).
    I have walked (and now I am done).

You the teacher can also add the requirement that the "have/has" form be given for the perfect on hw and tests until your student is comfortable with it.
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Comment

Thank you, Michael. That was helpful. I think I will require the have/has until I know that she has learned the meanings of each tense and is comfortable with it.

Comment

Originally posted by angie alita View Post
        Thank you, Michael. That was helpful. I think I will require the have/has until I know that she has learned the meanings of each tense and is comfortable with it.
        You're welcome. I do want to mention that if the instructions say to use a specific translation, then obviously students must use that one.
        Michael
        Memoria Press

Comment

Working...
        X