Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(First Form Latin) How to explain what simple, progressive and emphatic present means

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(First Form Latin) How to explain what simple, progressive and emphatic present means

Hello, I am struggling to understand what progressive and emphatic present means. I think I get the simple present "I give"...but why is "I am giving" considered progressive and "I do give" considered emphatic?
    I think I am not clear on the definition of progressive and emphatic.

Thank you,
    Andrea

Re: (First Form Latin) How to explain what simple, progressive and emphatic present m

Originally posted by andicarsten View Post
    Hello, I am struggling to understand what progressive and emphatic present means. I think I get the simple present "I give"...but why is "I am giving" considered progressive and "I do give" considered emphatic?
    I think I am not clear on the definition of progressive and emphatic.

Thank you,
    Andrea
    The progressive present emphasizes the ongoing nature of the action. Think of the word "progress." The emphatic present emhasizes that the action is happening. Think of the word "emphasis." The simple present doesn't imply ongoing action or emphasize the action and that is why it's called the simple present. Does that make sense?
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Comment

Re: (First Form Latin) How to explain what simple, progressive and emphatic present m

Yes, thank you.

Comment

Working...
      X