Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latina Christiana lesson 6

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Latina Christiana lesson 6

    Help. The crossword puzzle for lesson 6 uses the different case endings but assumes the child already knows what they mean. Example: P.28 #19 down has 'of the flight', #8 across has 'the woman's. I haven't had grammar in over 30 yrs. I don't remember what ablative, accusative, dative, etc. mean. Sure, I can look up the answers but that doesn't teach my boys anything. Did I miss something in the lesson? We use the DVD and nothing was explained in that about what each means. We are currently using the English Grammar Recitation I.

    Thank you for any help in this.

    Diana

    #2
    Re: Latina Christiana lesson 6

    Originally posted by AKD.Lee View Post
    Help. The crossword puzzle for lesson 6 uses the different case endings but assumes the child already knows what they mean. Example: P.28 #19 down has 'of the flight', #8 across has 'the woman's. I haven't had grammar in over 30 yrs. I don't remember what ablative, accusative, dative, etc. mean. Sure, I can look up the answers but that doesn't teach my boys anything. Did I miss something in the lesson? We use the DVD and nothing was explained in that about what each means. We are currently using the English Grammar Recitation I.

    Thank you for any help in this.

    Diana
    For the Lesson 6 Grammar Crossword, students are giving the Latin. So for the first one, #4 Across, the student is given "faults (acc.)" and since they have learned how to decline a noun, they take the word for fault (culpa) and put it into the accusative plural (culpas). Students do not need to know what the case means, and you are correct that students do not know the meanings of the cases, so we should not have put "of the flight" for #19 Across or "the woman's" for #8 Across, and I apologize for the confusion. I looked at the rest of the crossword and the student should be able to answer everything else.

    Does that answer your question?
    Michael
    Memoria Press

    Comment


      #3
      Re: Latina Christiana lesson 6

      I was a little confused here as well, not just with the crossword, but where, exactly the functions of the cases are/should be introduced. At one point in the videos (I think it was lesson 6 or 7) the students are asked to recite all of the names of the cases and their functions without her help (so she says the case and they are supposed to already know the function), but I couldn't remember where they were introduced to the functions with her help.

      In the teacher's manual, nominative case as the subject is taught in Lesson 8, but my son did lesson 9 on the video this morning and was again reciting all the names of the cases with their functions. Then in the TM for lesson 10, it tells the teacher to teach the rest of the case names (no functions listed).

      Can anyone shed some light on the difference between the video lessons and the TM? I happen to have taken some Russian, so I can explain the cases to him (crudely), but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be getting that detailed yet.
      Jodi
      ~~~~~~~
      2019-20 School Year:
      Ethan (7A)
      Matthew (5A)
      Silas (1st)
      Eleanor (4yo dabbling in PK as time allows)
      Andrew (brand new as of Oct 2019)

      Comment


        #4
        Re: Latina Christiana lesson 6

        Originally posted by JodiSue View Post
        I was a little confused here as well, not just with the crossword, but where, exactly the functions of the cases are/should be introduced. At one point in the videos (I think it was lesson 6 or 7) the students are asked to recite all of the names of the cases and their functions without her help (so she says the case and they are supposed to already know the function), but I couldn't remember where they were introduced to the functions with her help.

        In the teacher's manual, nominative case as the subject is taught in Lesson 8, but my son did lesson 9 on the video this morning and was again reciting all the names of the cases with their functions. Then in the TM for lesson 10, it tells the teacher to teach the rest of the case names (no functions listed).

        Can anyone shed some light on the difference between the video lessons and the TM? I happen to have taken some Russian, so I can explain the cases to him (crudely), but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be getting that detailed yet.
        The case functions are given to the teacher in Lesson 5, with an explicti note that "the meanings of the cases are given... so you will have an idea of their use. Students do not need to learn them this year." Recitation of them is probably included on the DVD because that is what Leigh, the instructor, did in her classroom. If reciting the meanings is confusing your student, I would just skip it. The idea was merely to expose them to the functions. Mastery of them is not required.

        Does that help?
        Michael
        Memoria Press

        Comment


          #5
          Re: Latina Christiana lesson 6

          Originally posted by Michael View Post
          The case functions are given to the teacher in Lesson 5, with an explicti note that "the meanings of the cases are given... so you will have an idea of their use. Students do not need to learn them this year." Recitation of them is probably included on the DVD because that is what Leigh, the instructor, did in her classroom. If reciting the meanings is confusing your student, I would just skip it. The idea was merely to expose them to the functions. Mastery of them is not required.

          Does that help?
          Yes! I'm thinking I must have glossed over that page in lesson 5 because I wasn't going to teach it (and I already have some experience with Russian so I didn't feel like I had to learn it for myself). That actually helps clear things up a lot.
          Jodi
          ~~~~~~~
          2019-20 School Year:
          Ethan (7A)
          Matthew (5A)
          Silas (1st)
          Eleanor (4yo dabbling in PK as time allows)
          Andrew (brand new as of Oct 2019)

          Comment

          Working...
          X