Grading the material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grading the material

I'd like to know how you recommend grading the quizzes and workbook pages. (I couldn't find this question answered anywhere.) For spelling errors would you make it all wrong, or half off? If they translate a sentence correctly but get the ending wrong, is it all wrong? Would you give one point for an entire sentence? Any partial credit? I need help with all this because I'm not sure how to break up the points. On quizzes in the vocab section, I am counting each one as three points: One for the nominative form, one for the genitive form, and one for the gender. The points on all quizzes and workbook pages are really high. Help?

When I was teaching, I finally settled on 2 points per vocab. word & Latin saying (1 for the word/saying and 1 for the spelling). This helped the students who were notoriously bad spellers to at least get credit for knowing the words.

Then, I gave 1 pt. for each word in the grammar forms (conjugations & declensions). That was 1/2 pt. for the correct stem and 1/2 pt. for the correct ending. So if a student spelled all the stems wrong but got all the endings right, he got credit for the correct endings.

When the Latin got more complicated and the students were being tested on translation (which does not happen in Prima or LCI), I was more lenient. Translation is very difficult, and I did not let it bring a test grade down if the student knew all the vocab. and grammar forms because that is where we want student success to be at the grammar stage of Latin study.

I hope this is helpful!

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

That's very helpful. Thanks! I'll start doing it this way.

Comment

Working...
      X