Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Henle Latin 1 -- ex 103 p. 90 help!

Exercise 103 number 3 says:

There are great and renowned cities in America.

Can you help me figure out the translation please? I am confused re the answer the key gives.

In America oppida magna et nobilia sunt.

But there is a word for city: urbs. So why was town used instead?

And re the order of the words, does it really matter if I started my translation with sunt and ended with in America per the order of the English sentence?

Hello,

Latin has a much smaller vocabulary than English, so many Latin words can be translated by several different words. Henle teaches only two or three meanings, but there are almost always more. Henle's key is written for Latin teachers, and so he sometimes gives a different meaning than the one in the text because there would be a Latin teacher to explain the change to the students. For homeschoolers, however, it can be very confusing! In this sentence, using urbs would be fine.

As for word order, the answer key is giving the normal Latin word order, but word order is very flexible and so if you're word order is more English, that's okay. The focus in the early stages of learning Latin should be on the grammar and vocabulary, using the right tense and case, etc., not on word order.
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Comment

Okay so if I translated mine as thus:

Sunt urba magna et nobilia in America.

Would I still be using the correct endings and such? Once we hit the Adj, it's been a little harder for me to explain things as easily.

Thank you for your help.
      melissa
      Last edited by Mom2legomaniacs; 10-16-2012, 02:20 PM. Reason: typing mistake

Comment

Hi Melissa,

Close urbs is a feminine noun, but it is 3rd declension so the nominative plural would be urbes. Adjectives in Latin must agree with their noun in gender, number, and case, but not necessarily declension. Urbes is feminine, plural, nominative, so the adjectives need to be feminine, plural, nominative. Magna is feminine singular, while nobile is neuter singular. Just make them agree with the noun and you'll be good to go!

Everything else is correct, and you're very welcome. We're happy to help.
        Michael
        Memoria Press

Comment

Ugh, thank you! This last section of the unit is not wanting to stick in my head all that well. I cannot get the genders/etc correct (yet).

Thank you so much for your concise explanation. I wish Henle would do that with some of the sections :-) They can be tricky to navigate sometimes.

Comment

I know why I had Neuter stuck in my head. I got confused once they listed oppidum and couldn't reset properly. I'll get it though!

Comment

Working...
            X