SFL - Unit IV Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SFL - Unit IV Test

I’m grading my child’s Second Form Latin Unit IV Test (perfect system, question words) and I have a question about one translation. My Latin is exactly where my child is, minus her instant recall of vocabulary!

Quid reginae novae heri dederunt?

The answer key used singular dative for reginae novae and she used nominative plural. I don’t see where she has to be wrong - though multiple queens is a little odd!

Answer key: What did they give the new queen yesterday?
    My child: What did the new queens give yesterday?

Thank you!
    Carrie
    Mom of 5 in Tennessee

2021-2022
    3rd or 5th year homeschooling - slowly transitioning to more MP
    5th grade girl
    3rd grade boy
    K girl
    Littles running wild

She is correct in recognizing that reginae novae could be the nominative plural subject. However, probably the writer of that question was reinforcing the concept of the dative for an indirect object with a verb of giving such as do, dare. Technically, she could be correct; that sentence could grammatically be read in either way in the absence of more context. But, in the way that she read it, you have a verb of giving, but no indirect object -- which is possible, but not as common as having a dative object with such verbs. I would give her credit, but with an explanation of what concept the sentence is teaching.

Does that help?

Bonnie

Comment

Originally posted by Bonnie View Post
      She is correct in recognizing that reginae novae could be the nominative plural subject. However, probably the writer of that question was reinforcing the concept of the dative for an indirect object with a verb of giving such as do, dare. Technically, she could be correct; that sentence could grammatically be read in either way in the absence of more context. But, in the way that she read it, you have a verb of giving, but no indirect object -- which is possible, but not as common as having a dative object with such verbs. I would give her credit, but with an explanation of what concept the sentence is teaching.

Does that help?

Bonnie
      Thanks, Bonnie! I had not considered that an indirect object would be a better choice since it’s a giving/telling verb. I’m going to ask her to review it in that light, but still giving full credit.
      Carrie
      Mom of 5 in Tennessee

2021-2022
      3rd or 5th year homeschooling - slowly transitioning to more MP
      5th grade girl
      3rd grade boy
      K girl
      Littles running wild

Comment

Working...
      X