Lingua Angelica???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lingua Angelica???

I have searched until I'm blue in the face, but can't find any help with the lessons for Lingua Angelica. Is there an online chat or something to help with these problems as the arise? Example from today is "what does vocative and imperative mood mean?" I've looked through all our Latin manuals and I can't find an answer. HELP!!!

Hello.

I'm sorry you are frustrated, but Lingua Angelica is a supplemental course, and you should use it only as far as your Latin students' knowledge goes. For example, if you are in Latina Christiana I and the students know the present tense of verbs and how to decline a 1st-2nd decl. noun, those are the words they should be able to pick out of the hymns and prayers in LA. Don't try to teach the subjunctive or the imperative until they have actually studied it in a Latin grammar course. It is too difficult. The LA can be used every year throughout your Latin grammar work; students are amazed when they see how far they've come and how much more they can do each year as they look back through the book.

With beginning Latin students, I just put a verse of a song on the board and we talk about the words that the students should know. Then, using the vocabulary guide in LA for that song, we fill in the rest of the words. Then, we put the words into an order that makes sense in English. This is a great exercise in showing students what completing an actual translation looks like, while at the same time reviewing the grammar they know by letting them pick it out of these songs and prayers.

I hope this helps you!

Tanya Charlton

Comment

vocative imperative!

narnia,

I agree with Tanya, but just to answer you questions. Vocative is a noun case, usually identical to the nominative that is used as a case of address. So if I wanted to get your attention in a room, I'd say your name in the vocative. The imperative is one of the three moods of Latin for Latin verbs. The indicative is a statement of fact, the subjunctive is a possible future event, and the imperative is a command. Also, you can always post your questions here, or email me directly at

glen@memoriapress.com

I'm Latin teacher in the classroom, and online so write whenever and as often as you like.

Glen Moore
      thanks!
      Glen Moore
      [url]www.[B]M[/url][/B]emoria[B]P[/B]ress.com/course

Comment

Working...
      X