Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second Form Latin - Lesson V

Howdy!

We wanted to ask about 'how to determine if a noun is an i-stem noun' rule. We understand the rule, but also noticed that in Lesson IV many of those words also fulfill the i-stem rule: canis canis, pater patris. We are gathering there must be some exceptions to the finding an i-stem rule.

Would it be fair to say that we should use the i-stem rule unless we happen to know the word is an exception? In general are there more words that follow the rule than the exceptions? Or?

Thanks for your help. My son is really enjoying learning Latin! ?

Kristi
    Kristi
    DS 14 (9th grade)

Howdy back!

Yes, the I-stem rules have a number of exceptions. Thankfully, exceptions are indeed exceptional, and should be fairly easy to keep track of as you learn new ones! As a helpful memory device, the average Roman family portrait has no i-stems; father, mother, brother, the young and the old, and the dog (pater, mater, frater, senex, iuvenis, canis). Sister isn't part of the portrait because she's a regular 3rd declension (soror, sororis); didn't make it for picture day, I guess.

Hope this helps!
    - Jon

Comment

Thanks Jon! That's perfect! ?
      Kristi
      DS 14 (9th grade)

Comment

Just in time for me to teach this next Monday. Nice!
        Festina lentē,
        Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
        12th • AP Latin online, DE Calculus & Physics, HLN
        10th • HLN, Latin online
        7th • HLN & Home
        4th • HLN & Home
        Me • Third Form for Adults, MPOA; teaching TFL and co-directing @

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

Have fun Jessica! My husband and I have no Latin experience at all, so we've been learning along with our son. We each have our own workbooks and we even take the tests!! It feels great to learn something new at 51! I'm so grateful to have Memoria Press materials and videos!!! ♥
          Kristi
          DS 14 (9th grade)

Comment

Working...
          X