Roots first of Book of Roots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roots first of Book of Roots?

I have a 9 year old and 10 year old in LCI. We are interested in doing a roots course. My 10 year old wants to "delve deeper" into words, wants to know more about why words are spelled the way they are. Would the Book of Roots be overkill? Would it be a help with derivatives with LC? Could it be used as a resource book? Is it better to just stick with Roots of English only at first?

Thank you.

Gretel,

The Book of Roots is a difficult book, but your children could get through it since they are taking Latin. But Roots of English is a better starting point. I would do that book first. And another advantage to it is that it has Greek roots also.

Doing a roots course is really not necessary with Latin because the students are going to get an understanding of derivatives over the course of learning their Latin vocabulary, but it will certainly complement the study of Latin if you have the time to do it. I would consider it a supplement to Latin study, but don't let it get in the way of your Latin grammar study.

Tanya

Comment

Working...
    X