Classical studies test questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Classical studies test questions

I have a 9 year old and a 10 year old doing the Men of Rome Studies. On the comprehension question portion of the tests, they give simplified answers but are generally right. Doing the lessons orally, they seem to have a grasp of the stories and are enjoying and remembering the people, places, events. But on the test, which we do written, not orally, they are lacking in details and therefore some accuracy. Anyone have suggestions on how to improve this? Is this an okay way to answer for this age? I am assuming they should tell more, but is this typical for this age?

They are also consistently not doing well on the map portion. We go over it carefully with each lesson. They review it for the review lesson and they spent a long time this week going over that but still did poorly. Suggestions? What am I doing wrong?

Does anyone use the lessons and not the tests? Seems to me a pretty important portion of the course but I suppose I could do it without. They just do not test well. So, again, what am I doing wrong?

Thank you!

Gretel,

I wouldn't worry about the Famous Men of Rome tests. We have actually rewritten them and will have more fact-based tests in the next reprinting. I will see if I can get hold of the files to send you. In the meantime, why don't you see how they do if you drill the questions in the back of the book? Those are really the facts they need to know. I would do a regular review of those facts so that they retain them.

The purpose of studying the Famous Men series is to help young children get a grasp on history through the study of major people. If you can hang a time period on an interesting person, your children will remember those stories. I think if your children have a good handle on the stories orally, you have done what you need to do for now. As they continue to study history, they will get a better understanding.

As far as the maps go, I would just pick a few key places and have them concentrate on those rather than requiring them to memorize so much. Again, the idea is to put the places they are studying within the context of the world.

If you will send me your email, I will send you the revised tests and see if you like those better. Give me a couple of days to get them together.

Tanya (tanya@memoriapress.com)

Comment

Working...
    X