Fourth Form Latin, Unit II review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fourth Form Latin, Unit II review

Hello! I'm looking for some help with 4th Form Latin. In the Unit II Review, Worksheet 7, my son and I are running into some problems with the Confession of St. Patrick.

First, #2 - We are confused by the first part of the sentence (Haec a me agitur...). The teacher guide translates this "these things are being done by me..." Can anyone explain why the translation is plural? "Haec" does seem to have a plural antecedent in #1, but the verb "agitur" cannot be plural, correct?

Second, #3 - The verb "daret": note 8 on the bottom of the page says to follow the sequence of tenses. I may be mistaken, but I thought that when we translate following the sequence of tenses, the subjunctive verb is translated with an indicative meaning, so I thought "daret" should be "he was giving." The teacher guide translates it "he might give."

Admittedly, I haven't kept up with my son's level of Latin, so maybe these answers are obvious, but I would appreciate any help!

Thank you,
    Pam

Originally posted by woolery81 View Post
    Hello! I'm looking for some help with 4th Form Latin. In the Unit II Review, Worksheet 7, my son and I are running into some problems with the Confession of St. Patrick.

First, #2 - We are confused by the first part of the sentence (Haec a me agitur...). The teacher guide translates this "these things are being done by me..." Can anyone explain why the translation is plural? "Haec" does seem to have a plural antecedent in #1, but the verb "agitur" cannot be plural, correct?

Second, #3 - The verb "daret": note 8 on the bottom of the page says to follow the sequence of tenses. I may be mistaken, but I thought that when we translate following the sequence of tenses, the subjunctive verb is translated with an indicative meaning, so I thought "daret" should be "he was giving." The teacher guide translates it "he might give."

Admittedly, I haven't kept up with my son's level of Latin, so maybe these answers are obvious, but I would appreciate any help!

Thank you,
    Pam
    Good afternoon Pam,

In Line 2, yes, agitur should be aguntur in order to agree with its plural subject, haec. Apologies for that typo!

In Line 3, the translation of daret is correct. As of the end of unit 2, students have learned two subjunctive constructions that follow the sequence of tenses: purpose clauses and indirect questions. Lesson 13 does note in the final bullet point "that in indirect questions, the subjunctive is translated using indicative meanings" (emphasis added). However, we do not have an indirect question in line 3 of Worksheet 7 because Patrick is not asking if he was worthy of such great grace. Thus, he might give better reflects the Latin subjunctive. Does that make sense?
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Comment

Working...
    X