FFL quiz 2 optabant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FFL quiz 2 optabant

I see that the translation for optabant should be "they were desiring" ... My student put "they were wanting" and I wasn't sure if this was an acceptable translation or not - can someone please let me know?

Julia,
    Great question. No, but "they were wishing" would be a correct option. You can look at the little blue text on page 12 to see the two definitions of opto are desire/wish. It may seem like splitting hairs to him, but this is a great time to discuss senses of words and how we make distinctions with them. Wanting doesn't necessarily equal wishing, which is why we make that distinction in English. The Forms are going to use limited English senses for each of the Latin words. They will grow in nuance and specificity as the student goes deeper into Latin. Hope this helps!
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
    @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
    S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
    D · 8th
    D · 5th
    S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Thank you- I had a feeling it was probably not the right connotations, but he will argue anything so I wanted to have official word before counting it wrong (Latin is a new language to me) :-P

Comment

Originally posted by Julia View Post
        Thank you- I had a feeling it was probably not the right connotations, but he will argue anything so I wanted to have official word before counting it wrong (Latin is a new language to me) :-P
        Take heart, all that arguing will come in handy later in Logic.
        Festina lentē,
        Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
        @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
        S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
        D · 8th
        D · 5th
        S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Working...
        X