Third Form, Unit I Review, Translation C and Translation D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Third Form, Unit I Review, Translation C and Translation D

Translation C, sentence 4: The bridge had been burned by a soldier.
    Answer Guide: Pons a milite arsus erat.

Question: Why is the passive of ardeo used? Lesson VI lists ardeo as an intransitive verb. The last bullet of the lesson says, "Because intransitive verbs do not have direct objects, you will not be using them in the passive voice." Because we remembered ardeo is intransitive, my student and I didn't know what to do with this sentence.

Translation D, sentence 3: Think with your head and heart.
    Answer Guide: Puta capite cordeque.

Question: My student and I both added cum tuo before capite. We know that understood pronoun adjectives don't have to be stated but why not cum?

Thank you!

Good afternoon Sharon,

Originally posted by Sharon Lynn View Post
    Translation C, sentence 4: The bridge had been burned by a soldier.
    Answer Guide: Pons a milite arsus erat.

Question: Why is the passive of ardeo used? Lesson VI lists ardeo as an intransitive verb. The last bullet of the lesson says, "Because intransitive verbs do not have direct objects, you will not be using them in the passive voice." Because we remembered ardeo is intransitive, my student and I didn't know what to do with this sentence.
    You are correct. Ardeo means to be on fire, not to set on fire. The Latin verb for the latter is incendo, which students have not yet learned, so we will rework the sentence in the next reprint. Thank you for catching this!

Originally posted by Sharon Lynn View Post
    Translation D, sentence 3: Think with your head and heart.
    Answer Guide: Puta capite cordeque.

Question: My student and I both added cum tuo before capite. We know that understood pronoun adjectives don't have to be stated but why not cum?
    With is one way to translate the ablative of means, the preposition-less construction used in this sentence. Thus, while adding tuo is optional, adding cum is incorrect.

HTH!
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Comment

Thank you Michael! Yes, we understand both of your answers and feel much better about both sentences.

Comment

Working...
      X