Mr. Popper's Penguins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mr. Popper's Penguins

For Chapter 12, the Enrichment exercises for Mr. Popper's Penguins ask us to look up and write a sentence on the significance of each of the penguin children names. Is there an answer key for this? We've figured out Nelson, Columbus, Magellan, Isabella, Ferdinand, Scott, Louise and Victoria...but we can't figure out Adelina and Jenny. At this point, I'm just curious!

My first thought was of explorers. But the google search turned up empty for both names. I tried, explorer wives, mountain climbers, divers, editors of National Geographic and authors before giving up. I have asked our teachers if they know but likely won't hear back until tomorrow.

I'll let you know if I get any clarity.

Comment

Michelle,
      Thanks! You thought of some I didn’t think of - I’m betting they are names of ships but I can’t find any that match.

Comment

If I get time tonight I may search the names of the dogs on the dog sleds in the expedition!

Comment

Adelina is a location in Antarctica and Jenny is a British Schooner frozen in the Antarctic. I can't say if this is true, but this is where I found it.
          http://www.organichomeschooling.com/...037Jan2011.pdf
          Melissa

DS (MP3) - 9
          DS (MP2) - 7/8
          DS (K) - 6
          DD (Adorable distraction) 2 1/2

Comment

Excellent detective work!

Comment

Ah! Thank you! My son will be excited.

Comment

I have to admit I had the wrong Louisa - the document you posted has it as Sir William Perry's wife, which is probably a better connection. I found Louise Arner Boyd, but she may explored too close to the copyright date. But, I'd never heard of her, so I learned several new things today! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louise_Arner_Boyd

Comment

They aren't sure on Adelina's connection either - MIchelle, I'll be curious if any of the teacher's have the answer! Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Working...
                  X