Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TFL Lesson 17 Exercise VIII

Hello,
    My son is confused about the use of Illi in the second sentence of the reading translation. The answer key has "they (the Romans) did not build a bridge..." He is wondering why the Latin is not "et ei propter ligni..." (they instead of those). Again in the third sentence, why use illi instead of ei (those instead of they)?

Thank you!
    Catherine

2019-20
    DS16, 10th
    DS13, 7th
    DS11, 6th
    DD11, 6th
    DS7, 1st
    DD4, JrK
    DS 17 mos

Homeschooling 4 with MP
    2 in classical school

Originally posted by CatherineS View Post
    Hello,
    My son is confused about the use of Illi in the second sentence of the reading translation. The answer key has "they (the Romans) did not build a bridge..." He is wondering why the Latin is not "et ei propter ligni..." (they instead of those). Again in the third sentence, why use illi instead of ei (those instead of they)?

Thank you!
    Good afternoon,

The Romans really liked their demonstrative pronouns and used them for more often than we do in English. "Those" would be the literal translation and is not incorrect. The key is simply illustrating that a more idiomatic translation would use "they." We could certainly make this clearer in our key though, so I apologize for the confusion!
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Comment

That makes sense! Thanks for clarifying.
      Catherine

2019-20
      DS16, 10th
      DS13, 7th
      DS11, 6th
      DD11, 6th
      DS7, 1st
      DD4, JrK
      DS 17 mos

Homeschooling 4 with MP
      2 in classical school

Comment