Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CatherineS
    replied
    That makes sense! Thanks for clarifying.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by CatherineS View Post
    Hello,
    My son is confused about the use of Illi in the second sentence of the reading translation. The answer key has "they (the Romans) did not build a bridge..." He is wondering why the Latin is not "et ei propter ligni..." (they instead of those). Again in the third sentence, why use illi instead of ei (those instead of they)?

Thank you!
    Good afternoon,

The Romans really liked their demonstrative pronouns and used them for more often than we do in English. "Those" would be the literal translation and is not incorrect. The key is simply illustrating that a more idiomatic translation would use "they." We could certainly make this clearer in our key though, so I apologize for the confusion!

Leave a comment:

• CatherineS
    started a topic TFL Lesson 17 Exercise VIII

TFL Lesson 17 Exercise VIII

Hello,
    My son is confused about the use of Illi in the second sentence of the reading translation. The answer key has "they (the Romans) did not build a bridge..." He is wondering why the Latin is not "et ei propter ligni..." (they instead of those). Again in the third sentence, why use illi instead of ei (those instead of they)?

Thank you!
Working...
X