• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AJnKS
    started a topic English Grammar Recitation IV (EGR4) -- Lesson 17

English Grammar Recitation IV (EGR4) -- Lesson 17

Hi!

I have a question about the diagrams for sentences #3 and #4 in Practice B.

3) "The boys found an old hunting cabin in the forest."

The TE shows the prepositional phrase "in the forest" under the word "cabin." We thought that "in the forest" should go under the verb "found" since it answers the question, "Where?"

4) "The hunted bear found safety in his den."
    The TE shows the prepositional phrase "in his den" under the word "safety." We thought that "in his den" should go under the verb "found" since it answers the question, "Where?"

Is the answer key correct? If so, can someone please explain?

Thanks!!

• AJnKS
    replied
    Michael - Thank you for that clear explanation. That was very helpful!

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by AJnKS View Post
    Hi!

I have a question about the diagrams for sentences #3 and #4 in Practice B.

3) "The boys found an old hunting cabin in the forest."

The TE shows the prepositional phrase "in the forest" under the word "cabin." We thought that "in the forest" should go under the verb "found" since it answers the question, "Where?"

4) "The hunted bear found safety in his den."
    The TE shows the prepositional phrase "in his den" under the word "safety." We thought that "in his den" should go under the verb "found" since it answers the question, "Where?"

Is the answer key correct? If so, can someone please explain?

Thanks!!
    Good morning,

The answer key for #4 is incorrect. The prepositional phrase "in his den" answers the question of "where" the action "found" took place. Good catch!

The answer key for #2 is correct, but so is your answer. According to the key, the prepositional phrase "in the forest" answers the question "which one" of the cabins (i.e., the one in the forest as opposed to, say, the one in the field). However, one could just as easily say that the prepositional phrase answers the question of "where" the action "found" took place (i.e., found in the forest instead of, say, found in the field). Without any context, the latter interpretation makes more sense, so we will probably switch the key to show "in the forest" modifying "found" and add a note that modifying "cabin" is also correct.

HTH!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X