Homework Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homework Question

In Lesson 1 of Refutation/Confirmation I noticed something wrong about the Inconsistency paragraph. Apthonius was basically saying that Apollo trying to force "marriage" on Daphne was good, and that her mother protecting her was wrong. I have a big problem with this argument! Apthonius is treating women like they are property. He also said that it is impious to ascribe evil to the gods, and then tells of Apollo trying to force adultery on Daphne. I think this is bad reasoning and very wrong.

Sincerely, Maria's daughter
    DD 12, using 6M core with 7th Grade COTR
    DS 10, using 5M core

Re: Homework Question

Paging Ryan Weston for a studentís question!

In the meantime, F this is a very good question about your current work! The tricky part here is that Refutation/Confirmation is teaching you how to argue as a rhetorical skill. Someone can argue something that is completely immoral and yet be convincing because they are employing solid rhetorical skill. With great knowledge comes great responsibility, right? Unfortunately, many people do not use their rhetorical knowledge for honorable purposes.

In Ref/Con, you will be arguing both sides of a situation. This doesnít mean that you need to agree with what you are arguing. This is similar to being on a debate team. One side of the team will often end up arguing against something they truly believe but it is purely an exercise in argument and it can actually help you be better discerning as you grow up. Many politicians are highly skilled rhetoricians but you will be able to separate skill from content. This is something many people struggle to do! You will be better able to see past skill and rhetorical devices to the heart of what they are saying ó not only in obviously immoral assertions like you mention above, but also when people are saying something that seems good on the surface.
    Jennifer

2018-2019
    DS-14 & DS-15 (MP9 Literature, Novare Intro to Physics, Light to the Nations I (CTP), MPOA for: Latin, Pre-Algebra, Ref/Con
    DS-12 (6M)
    DS-10 (SC3)
    DD-8 (MP2)
    DD-6 (SC2)
    DD-3 (NT using SCB for gradual intro to JrK)

Comment

I see your point. My dad actually teaches debating, I have had to argue for things I don't believe in. And you are right, knowledge and responsibility do go together. But my problem is that it feels wrong to make a student argue for something as bad as what Apollo tried to force Daphne to do, call it "marriage", and present it as the right choice. I and the others using this book are just students, and this seems like much more of an adult topic. Anyway, thank you very much for your response, it cleared this up for me a good deal.

Sincerely, Faustina
      DS 10, using 5M core

Comment

Originally posted by Girlnumber20 View Post
        In Lesson 1 of Refutation/Confirmation I noticed something wrong about the Inconsistency paragraph. Apthonius was basically saying that Apollo trying to force "marriage" on Daphne was good, and that her mother protecting her was wrong. I have a big problem with this argument! Apthonius is treating women like they are property. He also said that it is impious to ascribe evil to the gods, and then tells of Apollo trying to force adultery on Daphne. I think this is bad reasoning and very wrong.

Sincerely, Maria's daughter
        Good Morning!

First of all, let me say well done for the application of a discerning mind! One of the central, most significant goals of education is the formation of a discerning mind; I applaud you for using yours so well.

As to your concern, Jen described rightly that one of the skills we hope you will acquire during your time in this program is the ability to put away bias and argue for (or against) an idea clearly and convincingly. Saying that, this "skill" should not be applied to matters of conscience. The simple answer to your question is, if you are settled in your conviction that what Apthonius has to say is immoral, then you should skip this paraphrase.

This essay is intended to focus your mind on the structure and presentation of the argument Apthonius makes, not so much on the opinion he articulates. You should not feel a burden to defend the morality of the actions presented in the story, or those Apthonius appears to embrace.

As to the Inconsistency paragraph: Apthonius here attempts to leverage some general truth: marriage is good. Regardless of what is happening in the story, Apthonius hopes to make use of that general truth to convince his audience that the response of the parents (to resist their daughter's suitor) was inconsistent with what a parent should, by nature, do. This is an exercise in moving from the general to the particular, a very important rhetorical skill. In fact, the nature of Apthonius' wording (emphasis on marriage) seems to suggest he read this as a more honest pursuit (of a man pursuing a woman to marry) and not a violent, cruel attack.

Perhaps important to note, the story of Daphne and Apollo is one of many origin tales in a larger compilation. The point of the story is to explain origins, and I think one could read the story as utilizing hyperbolic language describing marriage, especially in the context of the culture in which Ovid (author of the story) and Apthonius lived.

Again, though, I will stress the importance of following your (and your parents') conscience on this. Think through it, pray about it, but don't resist your spirit if it is unsettled. Please feel free to respond, ask further questions, or disagree entirely!

Merry Christmas!
        Ryan Weston
        Director, Cottage Schools and Distributor Relations
        Memoria Press

Comment

Thank you! Your argument does clear things up. I still don't agree with Apthonius, but I see what you mean about this exercise being more about how to argue and less about what Apthonius is saying. And the ancient Greeks were very poetic in their stories and culture. Thank you for your reply, and have a Merry Christmas!

Sincerely, Faustina P.S. haha- my mom actually let me skip that paragraph in favor of asking this question. lol!
          DS 10, using 5M core

Comment

Working...
          X