Third form lesson 6

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Third form lesson 6

I just finished reading through the teacher manual for lesson 6, and I believe that section 2 which parses the saying incorrectly states that agis is 3rd person singular present tense. I think it should be second person singular.

I went looking on the errata on the website, but did not find a section for errata in the teacher manual. I did, however, look at what was listed as mistakes in the student book for the lessons I had already covered. I am very confused by the correction in lesson 3 that the saying was supposed to be tolle, lege instead of tolle et lege. Can you explain this? My son is taking 3rd form with the online academy, and they are still teaching it as tolle et lege.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Mom2mthj; 10-21-2018, 08:12 PM.
    Dorinda

DD 15 - 10th with MPOA(Biology, Novel, Material Logic/Rhetoric ), Lukeion (Greek3, Latin 3)
    DS 13 - 8A with MPOA(Third Form and composition)
    DS 10 - 5M
    DS 5 - K with AAR3

Re: Third form lesson 6

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post
    I just finished reading through the teacher manual for lesson 6, and I believe that section 2 which parses the saying incorrectly states that agis is 3rd person singular present tense. I think it should be second person singular.
    Correct; thank you!

I went looking on the errata on the website, but did not find a section for errata in the teacher manual. I did, however, look at what was listed as mistakes in the student book for the lessons I had already covered. I am very confused by the correction in lesson 3 that the saying was supposed to be tolle, lege instead of tolle et lege. Can you explain this? My son is taking 3rd form with the online academy, and they are still teaching it as tolle et lege.
    Because a very common translation of this saying is "take up and read," the Latin is sometimes given as "Tolle et lege." However, the actual quote in Augustine's Confessions is "Tolle, lege" (8.12.29), so we decided to update TFL to reflect the original Latin, even if the saying should still be translated with "and." Does that make sense?
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      Correct; thank you!

Because a very common translation of this saying is "take up and read," the Latin is sometimes given as "Tolle et lege." However, the actual quote in Augustine's Confessions is "Tolle, lege" (8.12.29), so we decided to update TFL to reflect the original Latin, even if the saying should still be translated with "and." Does that make sense?
      When will the books be updated to reflect that change? Our textbook is a few years old.
      Dorinda

DD 15 - 10th with MPOA(Biology, Novel, Material Logic/Rhetoric ), Lukeion (Greek3, Latin 3)
      DS 13 - 8A with MPOA(Third Form and composition)
      DS 10 - 5M
      DS 5 - K with AAR3

Comment

When will the books be updated to reflect that change? Our textbook is a few years old.
        They already are, actually! We leave corrected errors on our errata for some time to help those with older printings.
        Michael
        Memoria Press

Comment

Working...
        X