Third form lesson 5

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Third form lesson 5

I am working through lesson 5, mostly drill d/e and translation section. I don’t understand translating the perfect passive with “were”. Drill d, number 8...the Gauls were ruled by enthusiasm. It isn’t mentioned anywhere in the text as an option for translating perfect passive.

Also, translation 5...should that be a Senato instead of a Senatu as the answer key reads?

Thanks for the help!
    Dorinda

DD 15 - 10th with MPOA(Biology, Novel, Material Logic/Rhetoric ), Lukeion (Greek3, Latin 3)
    DS 13 - 8A with MPOA(Third Form and composition)
    DS 10 - 5M
    DS 5 - K with AAR3

Re: Third form lesson 5

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post
    I am working through lesson 5, mostly drill d/e and translation section. I don’t understand translating the perfect passive with “were”. Drill d, number 8...the Gauls were ruled by enthusiasm. It isn’t mentioned anywhere in the text as an option for translating perfect passive.

Also, translation 5...should that be a Senato instead of a Senatu as the answer key reads?

Thanks for the help!
    Good afternoon Dorinda,

I have a TFL Teacher Key, but not Teacher Manual, here at home so I can only partially answer your post:

Translating the Perfect Passive: The issue here is actually identical to the one students sometimes have with the Latin imperfect active: The most accurate translation (I was ruling) often sounds stilted in English, causing the best translation to be the English simple past (I ruled). Similarly, for the Latin perfect passive it often sounds better to use the English simple past (I was ruled) than the English present perfect (I have been ruled). That being said, if your student translated Drill D, #8, as "The Gauls have been ruled by enthusiasm," that would also be correct. See the Translation Checklist on p. 4 of the Workbook. I thought this was also explained in the Teacher Manual, but I'll have to check on Monday.

"By the Senate": Senatus is a 4th declension noun (senatus -ūs m.) so the ablative singular is senatu.

HTH!
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      Good afternoon Dorinda,

I have a TFL Teacher Key, but not Teacher Manual, here at home so I can only partially answer your post:

Translating the Perfect Passive: The issue here is actually identical to the one students sometimes have with the Latin imperfect active: The most accurate translation (I was ruling) often sounds stilted in English, causing the best translation to be the English simple past (I ruled). Similarly, for the Latin perfect passive it often sounds better to use the English simple past (I was ruled) than the English present perfect (I have been ruled). That being said, if your student translated Drill D, #8, as "The Gauls have been ruled by enthusiasm," that would also be correct. See the Translation Checklist on p. 4 of the Workbook. I thought this was also explained in the Teacher Manual, but I'll have to check on Monday.

I went back and looked at the lesson page again and I see that the box on page 16 lists “I was loved” or “I have been loved” as options. I had been looking at the appendix on page 130 and it only lists “I have been loved”. I translated the sentence The Gauls have been ruled by enthusiasm.

"By the Senate": Senatus is a 4th declension noun (senatus -ūs m.) so the ablative singular is senatu.

Smacking my face. I really should have known that!

HTH!
      Thanks for the quick response and for being so patient with all of us.
      Dorinda

DD 15 - 10th with MPOA(Biology, Novel, Material Logic/Rhetoric ), Lukeion (Greek3, Latin 3)
      DS 13 - 8A with MPOA(Third Form and composition)
      DS 10 - 5M
      DS 5 - K with AAR3

Comment

I went back and looked at the lesson page again and I see that the box on page 16 lists “I was loved” or “I have been loved” as options. I had been looking at the appendix on page 130 and it only lists “I have been loved”.
        Ah, I see that now. There should be space to give both translations of the perfect passive on p. 130 as we do for the present passive on p. 129, so I'll make a note to add "was loved" to p. 130 in the next reprint.

Thanks for the quick response and for being so patient with all of us.
        No problem; you're very welcome!
        Michael
        Memoria Press

Comment

Working...
        X