Word order in translation question with prepositions Second Form latin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Word order in translation question with prepositions Second Form latin

Hello, Second Form Latin Lesson 10 question in regards to translations.

I am noticing that translating the english to latin with prepostions are very tricky.... For example: We have a lake in front of our house is: Nos lacum pro domu nostra habemus....when it makes sense for me to write Pro nos domu lacum habemus.
    Would that be incorrect or just non conventional?

Another example: The leader is at the head of our army.

Would this be an okay translation?

Prae notro exercitu est dux. (I figure that the verb is usually at the end of a sentence....so I tried to follow that as a key....however the answer book as the correct translation as: Dux est prae exercitu nostro.

Hoping to find a pattern that I can follow with translating (such as the verb is usually at the end of the sentence kind of thing...)

Thank you in advance
    Andrea

Re: Word order in translation question with prepositions Second Form latin

Originally posted by andicarsten View Post
    Hello, Second Form Latin Lesson 10 question in regards to translations.

I am noticing that translating the english to latin with prepostions are very tricky.... For example: We have a lake in front of our house is: Nos lacum pro domu nostra habemus....when it makes sense for me to write Pro nos domu lacum habemus.
    Would that be incorrect or just non conventional?

Another example: The leader is at the head of our army.

Would this be an okay translation?

Prae notro exercitu est dux. (I figure that the verb is usually at the end of a sentence....so I tried to follow that as a key....however the answer book as the correct translation as: Dux est prae exercitu nostro.

Hoping to find a pattern that I can follow with translating (such as the verb is usually at the end of the sentence kind of thing...)

Thank you in advance
    Andrea
    Hello Andrea,

Latin word order is very flexible, so if yours differs from the Teacher Key's, that's ok. I would, however, put the object of the preposition right after the PREceding preposition

You are correct that the verb generally ends the sentence. One exception is the "to be" verb, which can go almost anywhere.

HTH!
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Comment

Working...
    X