X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wjoycem
    replied
    Thanks!!

Thank you! Your reply and the link included answered our question perfectly. I appreciate your time!

Wanda

Leave a comment:

• Mungo
    replied
    I think the issue discussed in this message fits the sentence you're dealing with, too:

http://www.memoriapress.com/forum/sh...99&postcount=6

If you try translating peto as "request," you'll see that it can take a direct object.

HTH!

Leave a comment:

• wjoycem
    started a topic Henle I Ex. 165 #1

Henle I Ex. 165 #1

Henle 1 Ex. 165 #1 - The general was sending a dispatch and was begging (for) a supply of rations and swords. Answer: "Imperator litteras mittebat et copiam frumenti et gladiorum petebat."

We are confused about the use of the accusative case for "copiam" in this sentence because it doesn't seem that the supply is having action done to it, as a direct object would have, rather, it was being begged "for". (petebat) My son feels copiam should be in the dative because it's used as an indirect object for the above reason, but I think that in English, the sentence would be analyzed as subject: general; compound verb: was sending and was begging for; compound direct objects: dispatch and supply; preposition phrase: of rations and swords. Could someone clear up exactly what "supply" is in this sentence? Either a direct, or indirect object, or object of a preposition, and why it takes the accusative in this answer and not the dative?

Thanks!!

Wanda
    Last edited by wjoycem; 01-17-2008, 05:53 PM.
Working...
X