Latin Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latin Question

In the final review for SFL, Worksheet 9, question 2, pg 189.

Populus propter peccata deis aram struxit.

On account of (their) sins, the people built an altar to the gods.

DD is wondering why "peccata" is in the nominative case of the second declension neuter? She is confused, and I am unable to help. She doesn't think accusative would make sense either.
    Last edited by Girlnumber20; 05-22-2018, 12:31 PM.

Re: Latin Question

Originally posted by Girlnumber20 View Post
    In the final review for SFL, Worksheet 9, question 2, pg 189.

Populus propter peccata deis aram struxit.

On account of (their) sins, the people built an altar to the gods.

DD is wondering why "peccata" is in the nominative case of the second declension neuter? She is confused, and I am unable to help. She doesn't think accusative would make sense either.
    "Peccata" is accusative because the preposition "propter" takes the accusative. (See Lesson 11.) Does that make sense?
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      "Peccata" is accusative because the preposition "propter" takes the accusative. (See Lesson 11.) Does that make sense?
      She said to say thank you. She said she didn't know that a noun takes the same case as the preposition, and didn't remember being taught that. This worries me a bit. I thought she was doing really well, but sometimes I notice these gaps, and because I have not kept up with her studies, I get worried that she is missing things that I am not even aware of.

Maria

Comment

Originally posted by Girlnumber20 View Post
        She said to say thank you. She said she didn't know that a noun takes the same case as the preposition, and didn't remember being taught that. This worries me a bit. I thought she was doing really well, but sometimes I notice these gaps, and because I have not kept up with her studies, I get worried that she is missing things that I am not even aware of.

Maria
        Even the best students forget concepts, especially over the summer. That's one of the reasons we wrote these summer reviews. I would have her re-read the lessons on prepositions in SFL and ask her to rework some of the problems in those lessons.

HTH!
        Michael
        Memoria Press

Comment

Working...
        X