Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Book, website, and resource recommendations for a first time teacher.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Book, website, and resource recommendations for a first time teacher.

I start teaching for the first time ever at a private school that will use Memoria Press curriculum. I would like some recommendations of resources or books for a first time teacher. Thank you!

Re: Book, website, and resource recommendations for a first time teacher.

Hello.

When we hire new teachers at Highlands Latin School, we have them fill out all the student study guides that they will be teaching from so that they truly learn the curriculum. They basically become students for the summer. We also have them read the novels and history books they will be teaching from. And we have a workshop where we give them a quick course in D'Aulaires' Greek Myths since that is so prevalent throughout literature. What will you be teaching? I might be able to suggest some more specific help if I know what grade and subjects you will teach.

Tanya

Comment

Re: Book, website, and resource recommendations for a first time teacher.

Welcome to the forum!

What a treat to start teaching using MP materials! You are going to appreciate the Teacher's Manuals SO much.

An additional suggestion I have is to subscribe to and read regularly the Classical Teacher magalog as well as read back-copies (links on the main MP site) so that you can get a fuller view of the overall MP vision of classical education. Familiarizing yourself with all the offerings across all the ages helps you craft a better appreciate of where students have been and where they are going. There is a center spread of all materials K-10th in every edition.

In addition to homeschooling, I teach First Form and Greek Myths in a cottage school. Knowing that students will learn the phrase "Then we will fight in the shade!" in Famous Men of Greece helps when I teach that phrase in Latin. Knowing that they will read Greek plays where the protagonists struggle against fate helps me point that out in the simple third grade readings of Oedipus and Perseus. Looking for Latin roots in their vocabulary words helps with every subject. I could go on and on!

I don't know what your background is, but I hope that you thoroughly enjoy the education you will receive by teaching using MP materials. I certainly have!
      Festina lentē,
      Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
      @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
      S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
      D · 8th
      D · 5th
      S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Working...
      X