Original Classical Composition Schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Original Classical Composition Schedule

I'm interested in the Classical Composition curriculum, and I have a question about the schedule. Can you tell me why the Classical Composition curriculum is spread all the way through 12th grade while Jim Selby originally scheduled it from 4th through 9th grade?

Thanks!

I have no idea. We got our schedule from Selby, and it lays out the course over 4th-12th grades. Where are you seeing his schedule? Could it be the schedule that his school follows? Does it include all the books but at an accelerated pace? We tried doing 3 books a year at the beginning in our online academy, but it was too much for students, so we quickly backed down to only 2 a year for those who get a late start. And in our packages, we will always only have one stage a year so that students get plenty of practice before moving on. And since we start with 4th graders, they aren't capable of doing more than that well. It takes them longer to master a stage. But older students can do 2 stages a year without a problem.

Tanya

Comment

I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. I heard about the faster paced schedule on the WTM forum and tried to find more information by searching online where I found a FAQ document listing the schedule. It did refer to Whitefield Academy, but was addressed to parents considering the curriculum. He said that the following was the ideal scope and sequence.

4th - Fable
      5th - Narrative
      6th - Chreia/Maxim, may begin Refutation/Confirmation
      7th - Refutation/Confirmation, Common Topic, may begin Encomium/Invective/Comparison
      8th - Encomium/Invective/Comparison, may begin Characterization and Description
      9th - Characterization and Description, Thesis/Law

I don't know how long ago this was written, so perhaps he spread it out based on further experience. Do you think this schedule would be doable?

Comment

We do not recommend this accelerated pace. We did try an accelerated pace in our online academy, and we had students and teachers very frustrated. The teachers felt the students hadn't mastered one stage before they had to move on to another one. I'm sure that some students could do this without frustration, but based on our experience, we don't recommend more than 2 stages a year, and that is only if students are starting late and want to catch up. If you start in 4th grade, we like one stage each year.

Tanya

Comment

I've spent more time looking at the curriculum samples, and I agree, they look like challenging work not to be rushed through.

Comment

Working...
          X