Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will this prevent us for using the curriculum to it's fullest potential?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will this prevent us for using the curriculum to it's fullest potential?

Good afternoon, I am writing because I want to use Memoria Press and stick with it for the coming years but I am a bit worried about the early grades. My son is almost 6 years old and I would like to start with the Kindergarten curriculum however we are already using a phonics and math curriculum separate from memoria that we love. I anticipate sticking with this math and phonics program for at least a few more years. My concern is if using a separate curriculum for math and reading will hurt the flow and experience of using Memoria for the rest of the curriculum. My fear is that the math and reading/phonics part of the curriculum somehow ties in with the rest and my son will be at a disadvantage later on if we didn't use the memoria program in these subjects from the start. Do the later grades depend on the memoria phonics and math curriculum to use the rest of the curriculum to it's fullest?

NOpe. I think you're fine. Without phonics and math, what were you planning to use of MP? Christian Studies, enrichment, penmanship, spelling? Or maybe your phonics covers spelling? Without knowing what your other program is, I can't say whether spelling is doable on it's own without phonics. I think it is, but your phonics could be way different. That would be my only concern.
    DS12- Simply Classical mash-up of SC Spelling 1, intensive reading remediation, and MPOA 4th grade math.
    DD10- Classic Core 4th Grade w/ 5th grade literature
    DD8- Classic Core 2nd Grade

We've completed:
    Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, second grade, third grade
    Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5/6

Comment

Originally posted by Colomama View Post
      NOpe. I think you're fine. Without phonics and math, what were you planning to use of MP? Christian Studies, enrichment, penmanship, spelling? Or maybe your phonics covers spelling? Without knowing what your other program is, I can't say whether spelling is doable on it's own without phonics. I think it is, but your phonics could be way different. That would be my only concern.
      I am using Logic of English and Math with Confidence currently. It does teach spelling but we are not that far along yet. I was planning on using pretty much everything else except the phonics And math by memoria, all the enrichments basically.

Comment

I don't think you'll have any trouble at all with math - I've never used Rod and Staff and it's never been a problem. Phonics and spelling may make a small difference in K-2, when literature works hand in hand with them (think StoryTime Treasures) Your phonics/spelling may be organized a bit differently, so you may have to make practical adjustments. But as long as you work on phonics and spelling you will be fine, your MP experience will not suffer at all.
        DS (15)
        DD (14)
        DS (7)

Comment

Working...
        X