Custom Curriculum Manuals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom Curriculum Manuals

Does Memoria Press still offer custom spiral curriculum manuals?

My sister in law recently shared with me that 3 years ago, she had called and put together a custom curriculum package. Not everything in the package was at the same grade level. She said she was also able to customize the actual printed and spiral bound curriculum manual that came with what she ordered. Not the digital plans, but the printed manual itself. It was customized to fit exactly the items she ordered, and she was able to request that certain subjects be left blank. While I definitely realize how tedious this can be for you all, I just wanted to see if this was still something offered or not.

Thank you,
    Beth

The dreaded custom curriculum. This has been an awesome topic actually and I've enjoyed everyone's solutions in other posts. I tried my own, using a digital version from Homeschool Planet, and it failed spectacularly. Now, I'm following other Mama guidelines here. I don't know that what you are describing is something offered - at least, I don't know that it is offered anymore?

I can show you what I built. I built a binder for my morning classes and another for my afternoon classes, but combined both my 1st and 2nd grader's lesson plans in them. It has the printed individual plans for each subject behind each tab. I even made some for the recitation and the spelling lists.

The real trick is this: What do you do when you get "off schedule" in a subject, or loose a day or two...or a week? What happens when things aren't aligned? How do you track where you are at a glance, like those wonderful printed CM?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8942.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	116833

2019.2020 Schedule.pdf

This allows me to know exactly where I'm at on the digital plans. I applied color codes (and names of course on my own copy) - 2nd grader is purple, 3rd grader is green, and combined classes are blue. I just check off the box completed here as we finish each day for each subject. That way if one subject is behind, even if it get's "way behind", I know where I'm going to look in my individual lesson tab- The weeks on the left side correspond to the weeks in the CM (or the individual lesson plans). So, wherever the next blank box is, that's the week I locate and pick up the day's lesson. I flip to the tab, locate my week, and go.

Name:	IMG_8939.jpeg
Views:	57
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	116838

Name:	IMG_8940.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	116837 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8941.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	116835

I'm facing a move in a few months so I need something that will allow for interruptions and not drive me crazy.

I built the same thing for each one of my kids. They have their own binder, with their own lesson plans and with this same "checklist" sheet for their own individual subjects. I don't require them to maintain it. They are too young to utilize this much right now, but I'm exposing them to the idea that they always know what we are going to do. I also got them their own student planners so that we can start writing down small "homework" assignments that they do on their own. It's just a light handed exposure to moving them towards doing more on their own.

I spent weeks trying to build the same single format CM using the editable CM digital planner, build it in Homeschool Planet, build it in Excel, build it in OneNote. All failures. This actually works - and works well. Other than creating this top sheet for all subjects for morning and afternoon, I just print the individual plans and put them in a tab.

Good luck Mama!
    Attached Files
    Melissa

DS (MP3) - 9
    DS (MP2) - 7/8
    DS (K) - 6
    DD (Adorable distraction) 2 1/2

Comment

WOW this is amazing. I can't thank you enough. I also have the online editable version, and have been trying to make it work. As well as check off stuff in the manual. As it is we're just switching to MP, so spelling, reading/phonics, and math are different than the manual. So I have to adjust somehow, and need space to write in my plans for those subjects. I'm going to enjoy playing with your resources this weekend. Thank you! ps side note- do you keep grades? If so, do you keep a record sheet in the back of each binder for each kid?

Comment

Hello.

Another idea is to get all the individual lesson plans for each subject as you need them, and keep them with your books for each subject. It's not as neat as having it all in one spot, but some people find it preferable.

Tanya

Comment

Good afternoon Beth,

I spoke with our office manager and a customized, printed curriculum manual is not something we have record of producing. Of course, we can research further if you'd like to privately PM or email us the name of your sister-in-law.

We would love to offer everyone a tailor-made CM, and we continue to research possible options. We haven't found a solution yet, but we'll keep trying! Until then, we have individual subject lesson plans and the editable templates you can use, and members of our brilliant forum community have also created their own solutions, as evidenced by Melissa's beautiful system she so kindly shared.

HTH!
          Michael
          Memoria Press

Comment

Thank you so much Michael . I did receive an email and responded back. Thank you so much for your help, and I appreciate everyone's help in giving some awesome solutions.

Beth

Comment

Originally posted by bethmtheule View Post
              WOW this is amazing. I can't thank you enough. I also have the online editable version, and have been trying to make it work. As well as check off stuff in the manual. As it is we're just switching to MP, so spelling, reading/phonics, and math are different than the manual. So I have to adjust somehow, and need space to write in my plans for those subjects. I'm going to enjoy playing with your resources this weekend. Thank you! ps side note- do you keep grades? If so, do you keep a record sheet in the back of each binder for each kid?

Hey, if you want the template of that excel sheet, just send me a private message with your email and I'll email it to you. That way you can work with raw excel data and maybe save yourself a few steps formatting. This site doesn't allow me to upload excel workbooks - just pdfs.

I do keep grades now. I picked up a planner from "The Well-Planned Day", but I won't do that again. There's a "muchness" too it I'm finding overwhelming and I'm using less than 10% of it. It does have a handy sheet in it for grades by week and classes and looks like this:

Name:	IMG_8955.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	116879

Looking at this, I'm just going to build my own in Excel next year for each kiddo and print them out for the whole year by kid. I like that it will break up the year in half, but I don't start in July. This year I started in the 2nd week of Sept, so if I were doing that, I would build a half year sheet like this, based on that start date. I always "hope" to be done around the first of June.... I want a full 52 weeks though. This works for now, but it may give me some trouble later in the year. I'll build my own from now on. It's a clean format so I'll probably use it for inspiration. It's smart to just label each week's 5 day period and list the subjects at the top. That makes it easy for year-round schooling and quizzes or tests that don't happen on time. I'd like to have my own class titles too. Another thought could be to follow the "Week" format of the CM, ignoring the precise "when" the quiz or test is taken that is shown here. That could be even more useful as there's always the chance you "don't" finish in a 52 week calendar year - but you do "finish" in a 33/34 week schedule if you aren't trying to track the precise date. Maybe this could be a single sheet, rather than 2 sheets? I'm trying to decide if there's a benefit to knowing the precise date a quiz or test is taken.

Also, in the 3rd grade CM, on the very last page, there is a reproducible template for grades and that might be a good place to start too if you only have a couple of subjects with grades.

I created a binder (2 actually because there are a lot) for quizzes and tests for the whole year. Again, I broke the binders up between morning and afternoon classes just for consistency. Each subject that has a quiz or test gets a tab. Based on the sage advise of other parents here, I printed every single one of them out ahead of time. It really is a time saver. When you see the couple of inches of paper generated from doing it all at once, you'll see what they mean. As I use a quiz/test for each kid, I collect it back and put it in the binder. This would be a great place to put a summary "score sheet" like this one.

Also, there's the question of record keeping. Just doing this for a few years with young kids, storage of school "proof" is kind of starting to get out of hand. The keeping of tests and quizzes might be enough to "prove" the work was done without having to keep up with all of the workbooks by grade by kid. Maybe I don't have to keep every single one if I have these.
              Melissa

DS (MP3) - 9
              DS (MP2) - 7/8
              DS (K) - 6
              DD (Adorable distraction) 2 1/2

Comment

Working...
              X