Question on Traditional Logic II, chapter 11, day 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on Traditional Logic II, chapter 11, day 2

I am trying to work through Traditional Logic II and have been doing fine until lesson 11. On day 2, with the extrapolation of the sorites, my teacher and I seemed to run into some problems. On the second sorites, the second premise is negative which seems to contradict rule #2 (under "Rules for Goclenian Sorites" ch. 11 book II) which states that "only the premise which contains the major term may be negative." What we are struggling to understand is this: how can the premise containing a term other then the major term be negative when the rule says only the premise containing the major term may be negative?

Second question is on the third sorites. In the answer key after the second premise in square brackets ([]) it says: "This is put first and the next one last in order to yield a First Figure syllogism in accordance with the rules for Aristotelian sorites in ch. 10." What the problem is is that it is not an Aristotelian sorites but a Goclenian sorites, and thus already is in the First Figure. Secondly even in the answer key the premises are not in any other order then they are in the work book.

Please help us with this and if you can may you please e-mail an answer.

Thanks for the great books!
    Josiah Bookman
    0.00%
    100.00%

The poll is expired.

Josiah Bookman
Working...
X