X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sedessapientiae
    started a topic TF Latin pronunciation of "coegi"

TF Latin pronunciation of "coegi"

Is there anyway to visually confirm the correct pronunciation of "coegi" in the Third Form series? The video and audio teachers pronounce the word with separate vowel sounds for the "oe" dipthong.
    I see this diaeresis denoted in other texts with a "double dot" above the second letter of the dipthong. Without this punctuation mark in the text, is there any other way the Form Series to visually catch this? Also, is there any reason why "coelum" keeps the dipthong sound, but "coegi" loses it?

• Michael
    replied
    Re: TF Latin pronunciation of "coegi"

Originally posted by sedessapientiae View Post
    Is there anyway to visually confirm the correct pronunciation of "coegi" in the Third Form series? The video and audio teachers pronounce the word with separate vowel sounds for the "oe" dipthong.
    I see this diaeresis denoted in other texts with a "double dot" above the second letter of the dipthong. Without this punctuation mark in the text, is there any other way the Form Series to visually catch this? Also, is there any reason why "coelum" keeps the dipthong sound, but "coegi" loses it?
    Good morning,

We firmly believe in "cluttering" Latin words as little as possible. Thus, we note that the o and e in coegi are pronounced separately when the word is first taught in the Student Text, and expect students to memorize the correct pronunciation at that time.

Why oe is sometimes a diphthong and sometimes not is really a historical linguistics question, but I believe that the oe in coelum is part of a single root while the o and e in coegi are from two separate roots (co + egi).

Leave a comment:

• Bonnie
    replied
    Re: TF Latin pronunciation of "coegi"

This is not going to answer your main question as to knowing the difference if it is not marked. But the teachers are correct in pronouncing the oē in separate syllables. A macron placed over the e indicates that oē is not a diphthong. Coēgi is a compound formed from co, a form of cum, plus ago. The separation of the vowels shows the origin of the compound and the preservation of the parts.

If macrons are used in a text, the macron over the e indicates that the vowels are to be sounded in separate syllables (co EH jee, or classical, co EH gee). Otherwise, oe is the diphthong, as in caelum/coelum (CHEH lum, or classical KI lum).

I would venture to say that there are not many examples like this where not having the macron would create a pronunciation problem. I would generally assume that oe is going to be the diphthong.

Bonnie
    Last edited by Bonnie; 10-10-2017, 09:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X