LCII - Lesson XIII Error?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LCII - Lesson XIII Error?

My 3rd edition Teacher's Manual does not match my students' 3rd edition books for Lesson 13.

My book says that vocabulary words 3-10 are irregular and will have different 3rd & 4th principal parts. But, my students' books have a (2) indicating that valeo (vocabulary word #3) has 2nd Conjugation regular principal parts.

To further complicate things, #3 in the Grammar Exercise of the student manual asks for the student to write the principal parts of (a) valeo, (b) habeo, and (c) debeo. But, the TM only has (b) habeo, and (c) debeo.

Which of the books is correct? I taught the lesson according to my TM, but now that I am grading the Exercise, I do not know which is correct.

Thanks!
    Darlene

Latina Christiana editions

Always go with the later edition, as there were some errors in the earlier editions that needed to be corrected. Re valeo, valeo is exclusively intransitive and as such does not have the usual 4th principal part, which is the perfect passive participle, something an intransitive verb cannot have. For such verbs, the future active participle (valiturus for valeo) is usually given as the 4th principal part. As for items 3-10, they all have peculiarities in principal parts 3 and 4. The 2nd conjugation is nowhere nearly as tidy as the 1st.

Comment

pobrien wrote:
      <<Always go with the later edition, as there were some errors in the earlier editions that needed to be corrected.>>

Thank you. We just bought these books for this year and I was under the impression that they ARE both the latest edition. I did teach the lesson according to the TM thankfully.

Blessings,
      Darlene

Comment

replacing older editions

I think the latest edition just came out recently. If you bought directly from us, give us a call if you want to replace the student book. We only charge a markup, not the full price. There aren't that many changes, though. We got rid of the (2) for 2nd conjugation verbs because there is no 'regular' pattern for the 2nd conjugation -- there are three main patterns and variations within those. Dictionaries usually only use (1) and (4) to indicate 'regular' conjugations for the 1st and 4th conjugations, which are fairly regular. The 2nd and 3rd are a lot more complicated.

Comment

Working...
        X