Forms of comparison for adj

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forms of comparison for adj

While learning forms of comparison for adjectives in Third Form, we were taught that adjectives whose stems end in a vowel, like arduus-a-um or dubius-a-um, would take on magis or maxime to form the comparative or superlative forms. Now in lesson 5 in Fourth Form we needed to decline a few adjectives, one of them being aequus-a-um. We declined it as though it took on magis and maxime, however, when I checked the answer key, it was declined using aequior, aequius. I double-checked the lesson to see if perhaps I missed the note that it was an exception, but I didn't see any mention of it. Could you please clarify whether it is an exception or if the answer in the manual was incorrect? Thank you!
    Audrey

Re: Forms of comparison for adj

Originally posted by howie4 View Post
    While learning forms of comparison for adjectives in Third Form, we were taught that adjectives whose stems end in a vowel, like arduus-a-um or dubius-a-um, would take on magis or maxime to form the comparative or superlative forms. Now in lesson 5 in Fourth Form we needed to decline a few adjectives, one of them being aequus-a-um. We declined it as though it took on magis and maxime, however, when I checked the answer key, it was declined using aequior, aequius. I double-checked the lesson to see if perhaps I missed the note that it was an exception, but I didn't see any mention of it. Could you please clarify whether it is an exception or if the answer in the manual was incorrect? Thank you!
    Audrey
    "Aequior" and "aequissimus" are correct. The "u" in "qu" is treated as a consonant as it makes a /w/ sound with the /k/ of "qu." Does that make sense?
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Comment

Re: Forms of comparison for adj

Thank you. Yes, that does make sense!
      Audrey

Comment

Working...
      X