X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Year Henle Latin Quizzes & Tests Units VI-XIV, Quiz #2

Quiz Key for week 2, section D. Translate, sentence #1:

Milites gloriae cupidi pugnant ut hostes vincant
    The soldiers, eager for glory, fight in order that the enemy may NOT conquer (them).

I think the NOT is not a correct translation of the above, but of course it does not make much sense that the soldiers fight in order that the enemy may conquer them.

Change 'ut' to 'ne' and the sentence works fine, correct? Or perhaps one could add 'non' before vincant, but I don't think so because 'ne' is the negative 'ut'.

Thanks,
    Brenda

Re: First Year Henle Latin Quizzes & Tests Units VI-XIV, Quiz #2

Originally posted by omma View Post
    Quiz Key for week 2, section D. Translate, sentence #1:

Milites gloriae cupidi pugnant ut hostes vincant
    The soldiers, eager for glory, fight in order that the enemy may NOT conquer (them).

I think the NOT is not a correct translation of the above, but of course it does not make much sense that the soldiers fight in order that the enemy may conquer them.

Change 'ut' to 'ne' and the sentence works fine, correct? Or perhaps one could add 'non' before vincant, but I don't think so because 'ne' is the negative 'ut'.

Thanks,
    Brenda
    Even though hostes could be the subject of vincant, it makes more sense for hostes to be the direct object: The soldiers, eager for glory, fight in order that they may conquer the enemy.

In other words, the translation of the ut clause in the key is completely wrong. Sorry about that! Mea culpa!
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Comment

Re: First Year Henle Latin Quizzes & Tests Units VI-XIV, Quiz #2

I forgot to amend the quiz and just gave it to my son as written. I often forget (at first) that 'hostes' can be either the subject or the direct object, but clearly my son is doing a better job than I am in this instance, for he agrees with your basic translation.

He wrote: "The soldiers, desirous for glory, fight to conquer the enemy".

Yeah for Luke!!!

Thanks so much. It's fun to come here and engage in the Latin conversation!

Brenda

Comment

Working...
      X