Prima Latina to First Form Latin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prima Latina to First Form Latin?

I have an 8 year old daughter whom I am using Prima Latina with this year. I was looking into purchasing Latina Christiana for her once we've completed Prima Latina, but just today noticed this First Form Latin program. I am wondering if I should move into that before Latina Christiana. I didn't get a clear description of the program, but it sounds like maybe this First Form goes a little more slowly, but by the end of the four volumes, she should be ready for Latina Christiana II? So, is the First Form kind of like Latina Christiana broken down into four segments that might be easier for younger kids to get into? If so, would it be feasible to use First Form for my son whom I will begin to homeschool next year with Kindergarten or should I just wait for him?
    Sorry for all the questions! I just want to make sure I have the right materials for the job and I don't want to rush through this and have her end up not liking Latin. So far, Prima Latina seems to be thorough and not too fast-paced which is why I like it...and also why I would like to stay with this "tempo".
    Thank you for your input.
    God Bless,
    Andrea

Andrea,

Since your daughter is so young, I would do Latina Christiana I before attempting First Form. It will be a slower pace, which she needs developmentally because of her age. First Form was written with older beginning Latin students in mind, but it is the perfect course for younger students who have completed Prima and LCI, so you are right on track. So, when your daughter completes LCI, she will move into the Forms - and there will be 4 of them. This will complete her Latin grammar and she will spend the rest of her years in school doing translation courses - making all that grammar worthwhile. As you see, this track does not include Latina Christiana II. We have found that students who have had Prima and LCI do beautifully moving on to the Forms, so we have taken LCII out of our master plan.

And I would continue with the same program for your son. I would caution you not to begin Prima until he is a good, solid reader. There is no rush! You could start Prima in the 2nd or 3rd grade and still have plenty of time. It's better to take a slow pace - which I gather you have already figured out.

Let me know if I can help you further.

Regards,

Tanya

Comment

Hi,
      Thank you so much for the information. This was exactly what I needed to know and I will also follow your advice for my son. He is only 4 1/2, but when I read it could be started with Kindergartners, I thought maybe he should start, too. I think some of these pointers should be listed with the information about the books. It is definitely important to make teachers/homeschool parents aware that being a strong reader should be a consideration before jumping into anything.
      Thanks again for your advice!
      God Bless,
      Andrea

Comment

I'm glad I was able to help. Our next catalog actually has an article about choosing the right Latin program that goes into more detail about age-appropriateness. I'm sorry for the confusion. Look for our catalog sometime this month. Hopefully, it will clarify things some more.

Cheers!

Tanya

Comment

Working...
        X