Third Form Lesson 23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Third Form Lesson 23

Quick question...in section 6, question 6, the verb in the indicative is dabimus, and we need to put struo into the corresponding subjunctive. The TG says the correct answer is struant. We thought it should be struamus. Can you advise if we went wrong? Thank you!
    Tracy
    My boys: JR, Riley, and Jack
    MP rising 6A, 5A, and MPK

Good afternoon Tracy,

In the first part of section VI, students are actually completing the sentence by putting the verb in parentheses in the subjunctive. In #1-5 the subject of the main clause and purpose clause were the same, so the person and number the main verb and subordinate verb matched. In #6, however, the subject of the purpose clause is different from the subject of the main clause. Here's a translation of the whole sentence, with brackets around the translation of struo:

"We will give them wood in order that [they may build] a house."

In the main clause, we (1st person plural) is the subject; in the purpose clause, they (3rd person plural) is the subject. Therefore, struo will be in the 3rd person plural (struant or stuerent) and, because the main verb is in the future tense, the present subjective must be used: struant.

I hope this explanation helps. If not, or if you have any further questions, please let me know!
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Comment

Michael, thank you so much for the quick reply. Your explanation makes perfect sense. I think I immediately go into panic mode when a sentence starts with one of those pronouns, which are the bane of my existence! It's all downhill from there!

Thanks again. I really appreciate being able to get an expert response whenever Latin stumps us!
      Tracy
      My boys: JR, Riley, and Jack
      MP rising 6A, 5A, and MPK

Comment

Working...
      X