Prarie School Teacher Manual page 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prarie School Teacher Manual page 6

1. The definition of sod is "grass-covered." A sod house isn't covered with grass. It's made of "bricks" cut from sod (grass and the underlying dirt).
    Cheryl, mom to:

ds 24, graduated
    ds 23, graduated
    dd 15, 9th Grade
    dd 12, 6th Grade
    ds 10, 4nd Grade

Cheryl,

In the vocabulary sections of the literature guides we try to be as concise as possible with our answers since this section is only defining a word or phrase. Most of the pictures of sod houses we were able to populate showed grass-covered houses akin to the picture shown in the actual text. We will look into updating the definition to include the fact that sod does incorporate roots/dirt as well. Thanks for your suggestion!

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle T View Post
      Cheryl,

In the vocabulary sections of the literature guides we try to be as concise as possible with our answers since this section is only defining a word or phrase. Most of the pictures of sod houses we were able to populate showed grass-covered houses akin to the picture shown in the actual text. We will look into updating the definition to include the fact that sod does incorporate roots/dirt as well. Thanks for your suggestion!
      I was trying to think of a concise way to define it for that very reason. I didn't want to leave it as grass covered, because that makes it sound like a house that just has grass growing on it. We are going to use "bricks cut from sod" and then discuss what sod is. Even in SoCal you will see people laying sod, so it's not a completely foreign concept.
      Cheryl, mom to:

ds 24, graduated
      ds 23, graduated
      dd 15, 9th Grade
      dd 12, 6th Grade
      ds 10, 4nd Grade

Comment

If you google search "sod-houses" it is quite interesting!

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle T View Post
          If you google search "sod-houses" it is quite interesting!
          Very! We learned about them a long time ago (I think with my older kids). I could totally get into the cool in the summer and warm in the winter aspect, but not so much the dirt everything, LOL!
          Cheryl, mom to:

ds 24, graduated
          ds 23, graduated
          dd 15, 9th Grade
          dd 12, 6th Grade
          ds 10, 4nd Grade

Comment

Working...
          X