Little House in the Big Woods Teacher Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Little House in the Big Woods Teacher Guide

I have the First Edition 2018 version of the Little House in the Big Woods and it would appear that on page 19 the "X" marks are on the wrong answers for both questions 2 and 3. The answer for question 2 should be "C" and "B" is marked. The answer for question 3 should be "C" and "A" is marked. Thanks!
    --Amanda

DD #1 - 3rd
    DD #2 - K

Originally posted by hackberryhill View Post
    I have the First Edition 2018 version of the Little House in the Big Woods and it would appear that on page 19 the "X" marks are on the wrong answers for both questions 2 and 3. The answer for question 2 should be "C" and "B" is marked. The answer for question 3 should be "C" and "A" is marked. Thanks!
    Thank you for catching this! We will fix it in our next reprint.
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Comment

I do not know if it has already been mentioned, but pg 54 of the teacher’s guide lists pg. 94 of Classical phonics, but that is the old edition. It should be pg. 102. ( I happen to have both copies). However, the list is not identical and the word “author” for question 6 is not on the new list!
      Christine

(2019/2020)
      DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
      DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
      DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
      DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
      DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
      DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

Originally posted by howiecram View Post
        I do not know if it has already been mentioned, but pg 54 of the teacher’s guide lists pg. 94 of Classical phonics, but that is the old edition. It should be pg. 102. ( I happen to have both copies). However, the list is not identical and the word “author” for question 6 is not on the new list!
        Thanks, Christine! The incorrect page number had been caught, but not the omission of author form the 2nd edition of Classical Phonics.
        Michael
        Memoria Press

Comment

I am making a good faith effort to understand the syllabication rules included in Traditional Spelling but became very confused today when looking at the "New Words" section on Day 1 of Chapter 7 in the Little House in the Big Woods teacher manual (p 28). It would appear that many of the words included do not follow the syllabication rules as I have been learning them (and teaching them). I have looked them all up in the dictionary and am now generally confused Would it be possible for a representative to review the words included there and provide corrected syllabication for any incorrect words? For example, ladle is written as lad-le but according to the open syllable rule in TS, a syllable with a long vowel sound is not closed with a consonant, so the correct syllabication would be la-dle. I'm specifically confused about the words icicle, weather, ladle, strawberries, dressmaker, married, and fashion. I either see inconsistencies in the application of the rules or I am unclear about the rule and my dictionary is telling me differently. Thanks!

Comment

We’ll look into this tomorrow. We looked up these words when writing the guides but I don’t remember specific words at this point. However, two things I do know are that English is full of irregularities so rules don’t always apply and that even within dictionaries we have found discrepancies.

Michael and I will definitely get this sorted and post!

blessings,
            Michelle T

Comment

I checked into this first thing on Tuesday but forgot to repost results.

The lesson you mentioned had some words repeated in two sections. It was strange because those repeated words were correct in the bottom section but syllabicated incorrectly in the top section. Typing those syllabication sections is tricky! And I was right about the dictionaries because there was a bit of discrepancy between sources. Here is what we decided.

la-dle, (open syllable because of long vowel), i-ci-cles was listed correctly
              i-ci-cles- this was correct in the guide
              weath-er should have been closed syllable and captured the -th-with the short vowel sound team ea- which is irregular
              straw- ber-ries, syllabicated between the double letters -not sure why this was wrong as it is the easiest rule to remember,
              mar-ried, again syllabicated between double letters
              fash-ion-a-ble- closed syllable after the first short vowel with sh diagraph, ion-an irregular spelling for short o sound followed by consonant to close the syllable, schwa on its own and , b is captured by the le to end the word
              dress-ma-ker was syllabicated correctly in the guide

These corrections have been made in the proof. Thank you for contacting us about these!

Blessings,

Comment

Working...
              X