5th Grade curriculum guide suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 5th Grade curriculum guide suggestion

I know, Jen! I'm sorry we didn't get the Review Boxes done yet. That really is on my list, and I'll try to move it up. I fussed at the 3rd grade teachers in a collaborative meeting last week for getting this review box thing started! I told them they had created a monster. But no use crying over that - the monster is loose, so I'll try to give you what you need. I can tell you it won't be in August though! I'm putting it up pretty high on my fall list.

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
      Maria,

It would be helpful to me if you could tell me specifically what needs to be clarified to make this a better guide. I have looked at it so much that I don't have a good perspective. It seems very clear to me, but I did teach 5th grade, so I'm not a good judge. Send me a list of things you would like to see edited, and I'll get it done! I would love to have your input!

Tanya
      I really feel badly because I think I created a monster by opening this thread! It truly was only a suggestion to begin with, and then when you responded so quickly, I made the assumption that you must have already thought that edits/corrections were needed. I am really sorry for adding one more thing to your list, and honestly, if it is for my sake alone, you do not have to worry about this on my account anymore.

I am just a person who loves to have every little thing scheduled, I'm not the best homeschooler in the world so I love a lot of hand-holding- and it seemed that in most subjects, here and there throughout the year, certain little things were left out. One example is that in EGR, no final exam was scheduled, which seemed a little strange since in 4NU there was such an exhaustive final. It would take me quite awhile to go through and compile a list of the little things that I noticed seemed missing compared to the 4NU guide- but if you really would like me to make such a list, I will be happy to try to remember. Otherwise, we can work with the guide as is, no problem.

Thanks for all you do.
      DD 12, using 6M core with 7th Grade COTR
      DS 10, using 5M core

Comment

Maria,

Don't worry about this! We want the curriculum guide to be as user-friendly as possible, and we welcome your opinion. For English grammar, Book One has lots of punctuation and capitalization rules, so the final is dictation of those examples. But for EGR 2, all the rules are grammar rules, so the last couple weeks of school are a review of those memorized rules. Students just need to recite them orally, but there is no written exam. Some of our teachers have students write their new grammar rule each week on the bottom of their spelling tests, just to make sure they are mastering it, but they don't have to do this. Cheryl Lowe told them that all testing for EGR can be oral. I think she just has that huge final in EGR 1 because of the nature of the rules being punctuation and capitalization.

Feel free to send me anything else you can think of that you would like to see changed. Sometimes, like with grammar, things have changed from year to year because of the nature of the course or because of the age of the students.

Tanya

Comment

Maria,

Don't worry about this! We want the curriculum guide to be as user-friendly as possible, and we welcome your opinion. For English grammar, Book One has lots of punctuation and capitalization rules, so the final is dictation of those examples. But for EGR 2, all the rules are grammar rules, so the last couple weeks of school are a review of those memorized rules. Students just need to recite them orally, but there is no written exam. Some of our teachers have students write their new grammar rule each week on the bottom of their spelling tests, just to make sure they are mastering it, but they don't have to do this. Cheryl Lowe told them that all testing for EGR can be oral. I think she just has that huge final in EGR 1 because of the nature of the rules being punctuation and capitalization.

Feel free to send me anything else you can think of that you would like to see changed. Sometimes, like with grammar, things have changed from year to year because of the nature of the course or because of the age of the students.

Tanya
          Aha- that makes so much sense. I think as a fairly new user and somewhat ocd I was thinking that every year is going to/should look the same, with the same exact activities scheduled and so on, but I realize really that can't be. However, if I see or think of anything else that seems an error during the year, I'll be sure to get back to you with it- but for now, for myself I think it will be easiest and best if I just use the guide as is. Thanks for clarifying, Tanya you are the best!
          DD 12, using 6M core with 7th Grade COTR
          DS 10, using 5M core

Comment

I fussed at the 3rd grade teachers in a collaborative meeting last week for getting this review box thing started! I told them they had created a monster. But no use crying over that - the monster is loose

Oh Tanya, don't fuss at them. Here's what they can do to make it up to you: they can create a template for the review box so that the grades 3-6 teachers can use it to compile the information so that we homeschoolers can have a standardized teaching experience in those grades. I could see where the K-2 grades don't need it, with the focus on reading and phonics, and where the 7th and up grades don't need it, with the emphasis on the student taking over the upper level subject material. However, I do admit that my 3rd and 4th grade experiences have been greatly enhanced by the review box. Given that 3rd - 6th tends to "hang together" as a course of study in the MP system, you can see where I might be considered spoiled now.

If you don't get to it, I will still love you, Tanya.

Jen
            DS, 26 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace), recently completed the design and execution of unhackable military software... in his spare time.

DS, 24 yrs, graduated from SIU's School of Business, ENGAGED!

DD, 21 yrs, Senior in Education at The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC

DS, 12 yrs, currently attending a classical school which would give HLS a run for its money.

All homeschooled.

Me: retired after 16 years of continuous homeschooling. Ahhh....

Comment

Jen,

When I get this done, it will be specifically for you!

Because I love you too ...

Tanya

Comment

Because I love you too ...

<3

This is why I love Memoria Press. In my 15 years of homeschooling, no company, not one, has ever loved me, too. Awesome... just awesome.

Jen
                DS, 26 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace), recently completed the design and execution of unhackable military software... in his spare time.

DS, 24 yrs, graduated from SIU's School of Business, ENGAGED!

DD, 21 yrs, Senior in Education at The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC

DS, 12 yrs, currently attending a classical school which would give HLS a run for its money.

All homeschooled.

Me: retired after 16 years of continuous homeschooling. Ahhh....

Comment

I know this post is old, but just checking to see if the 5th grade CM was ever updated? We'll be moving into 5th grade next year, and I'm just trying to prep a bit now to make lists of what is needed. TY!

Beth

Comment

Hello.

The 5th grade curriculum manual hasn't been changed in the last few years. We did add Core Skills Language Arts as a supplement to English Grammar Recitation a couple of years ago, and we added a Copybook Cursive that lets students practice their cursive by copying the Scripture verses they are memorizing in Christian Studies II. That's the only additions I can think of. All other books should be the same.

Tanya

Comment

Working...
                    X