5th Grade curriculum guide suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5th Grade curriculum guide suggestion

I am not sure I am posting this in the right place or not. I wanted to post a suggestion about the 5th grade curriculum guide, for the sake of those who may use it in future. It seems a lot of things in it are left unscheduled...for example literature tests, flashcards, reviews, recitations, math oral drill.. There are also small things that seem a bit disjointed here and there, such as the way the EGR questions are reviewed. I noticed in comparison the 4th grade NU guide, everything is there, from quizzes, to reviews, and it is making it so easy. I just find that if it isn't scheduled directly in the guide we forget all about it.

I am wondering if this is intentionally the way the guides become in older grades, to foster more independence? Maybe there is the reasonable expectation that parents will be doing more of the planning and consideration of the individual subjects, testing, reviews and so on, and the assumption is that we won't need every little thing to be scheduled. But I personally would love to put a vote in for "more is better" in those little boxes. It is so much easier to cross something out, than to not realize it was supposed to be done, especially for us disorganized types. I love those little boxes and so do my kids, it really helps us manage and remember to do everything. Thank you Memoria, we love you!

Maria
    Last edited by Girlnumber20; 04-04-2017, 02:52 PM. Reason: too many exclamation points
    DD 12, using 6M core with 7th Grade COTR
    DS 10, using 5M core

Re: 5th Grade curriculum guide suggestion

Hi, Maria.

I need to look at this 5th grade manual in detail and see what is going on. Our 5th grade teachers put it together based on what they do in the classroom, so I need to ask them to explain any oddities to us. I apologize for your confusion. We will do some work on this guide this summer. If you want to contact us before you start the year, we can update your curriculum guide if we have made changes to it.

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
      Hi, Maria.

I need to look at this 5th grade manual in detail and see what is going on. Our 5th grade teachers put it together based on what they do in the classroom, so I need to ask them to explain any oddities to us. I apologize for your confusion. We will do some work on this guide this summer. If you want to contact us before you start the year, we can update your curriculum guide if we have made changes to it.

Tanya
      That makes perfect sense- to me it did seem like the guide is written for an experienced teacher who knows just what needs to happen every day, and won't forget things like I do all the time, lol! Thank you so much for offering to update my guide if you are able to. I didn't expect that, was just offering suggestion. But I actually will be doing this grade over again this year with my younger, so that would be so wonderful and make our year easier. You are the best, Tanya.
      DS 10, using 5M core

Comment

Hello.

I did hire a 5th grade teacher to help us edit this guide this summer, but she won't get started until July, so it may be toward the end of the summer that we have this project completed. But thanks to you, it is now on the summer schedule!

Tanya

Comment

Tanya,

And of course,*if* this new teacher would care to include the week-at-a-glance flash cards for this level, similar to those that are found in the back of the 3M and 4Newcomer guides, some of us would be so grateful. After two years, I am very accustomed to using them! I copy them, then cut them out and glue them to color coded index cards. It's a snap to see "Week 3" Classical or Christian studies since I use different color index cards. I can create small stacks of like units, with a week's worth of information, in a snap.

I do understand this is a "wish" on my part, but I know with you, it never hurts to ask.

Jen
          DS, 26 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace), recently completed the design and execution of unhackable military software... in his spare time.

DS, 24 yrs, graduated from SIU's School of Business, ENGAGED!

DD, 21 yrs, Senior in Education at The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC

DS, 12 yrs, currently attending a classical school which would give HLS a run for its money.

All homeschooled.

Me: retired after 16 years of continuous homeschooling. Ahhh....

Comment

Oh. We can consider this. I'll talk to her about it when she gets here.

Tanya

Comment

Hello.

I did hire a 5th grade teacher to help us edit this guide this summer, but she won't get started until July, so it may be toward the end of the summer that we have this project completed. But thanks to you, it is now on the summer schedule!

Tanya
              hooray- I am so thrilled! Thank you so much, Tanya, I suspect this will help a lot of others in future too. And if Jen in Japan's suggestion goes through, that will be even better, my guy was even saying he hopes to do a review box, but no worries if she can't.

Maria
              DS 10, using 5M core

Comment

REVIEW BOX!! Yes, that is what it is called! Thank you, Maria. I love, love, love the review boxes I have used (3M, then later 4 Newcomer). Of course, I love them *after* they are put together. <smile>

I personally know how responsive that MP can be. I can name a handful of products that I, personally, have suggested which ended up as a reality. Tanya, I see in the new catalog that you've added the classical music guide for the K-2 music selections. This is exactly what I wanted when I suggested it! It can be used by the 3 - 6th parents, either the new users who missed the lower grades, or as a simple compilation of the classical music for review and reinforcement.

I n-e-v-e-r fail to be amazed at how customer service oriented Memoria Press is with their users. In my 14 years as a home schooler, I have never seen the like. Bravo, Memoria Press!

Jen
                DS, 26 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace), recently completed the design and execution of unhackable military software... in his spare time.

DS, 24 yrs, graduated from SIU's School of Business, ENGAGED!

DD, 21 yrs, Senior in Education at The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC

DS, 12 yrs, currently attending a classical school which would give HLS a run for its money.

All homeschooled.

Me: retired after 16 years of continuous homeschooling. Ahhh....

Comment

I will chime in to say that review box is so great - i have loved having it done for 3A this year!

Dorinda
                  Dorinda

For 2019-2020
                  DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
                  DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
                  DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
                  DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

Just chiming in to say that at least in the 5th grade Moderated manual, there seem to be some errors in the EGR II scheduling. After EGR II Lesson 22 in Week 25, it's just Review for the rest of the year. Week 26 schedules a Unit IV review, but that should have been scheduled in Week 22 following Lesson 18. Lessons 23-25 and the Unit V Review are never scheduled.
                    Catherine

2019-20
                    DS16, 10th with MPOA
                    DS14, 7th
                    DS13, 6th
                    DD13, 6th
                    DS7, 1st
                    DD4, JrK
                    DS 22 mos

Homeschooling 4 with MP
                    2 in classical school

Comment

Thank you! I'll check it out!

Tanya

Comment

Thank you! I'll check it out!

Tanya
                        We're picking up our books in June -- should I wait to order the CM?
                        Jennifer
                        Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16
                        MP: Lit 10, VideoText Algebra
                        MPOA: High School Comp. II
                        HSC: Spanish I, Conceptual Physics, Modern European History, and electives

DS15
                        MP: Biology, Lit 10, VideoText Algebra, Greek Tragedies
                        MPOA: High School Comp. II, Fourth Form Latin
                        HSC: Modern European History

DS12
                        7M with:
                        Second Form Latin, EGR III, and HSC for US History

DS11
                        SC Level 4

DD9
                        3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8
                        Still in SC Level 2

DD 4/5
                        SC Level C

Comment

Originally posted by jen1134 View Post
                          We're picking up our books in June -- should I wait to order the CM?
                          If we don't have the CM updated by then, we'll replace it for you when it's ready, so you can still start planning your year with the older CM!
                          Michael
                          Memoria Press

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                            If we don't have the CM updated by then, we'll replace it for you when it's ready, so you can still start planning your year with the older CM!
                            I am going to need to place a second order, but since I live in Canada I have it shipped to an across-border parcel pickup- and then I pick everything up at once in order to avoid international shipping costs. I would love to avoid making two trips. Should I wait awhile before I place my order so that the 5M curriculum manual will be ready? Also, will Core Skills be updated into this as well?

Thank you!
                            DS 10, using 5M core

Comment

Originally posted by Maria2 View Post
                              I am going to need to place a second order, but since I live in Canada I have it shipped to an across-border parcel pickup- and then I pick everything up at once in order to avoid international shipping costs. I would love to avoid making two trips. Should I wait awhile before I place my order so that the 5M curriculum manual will be ready? Also, will Core Skills be updated into this as well?

Thank you!
                              Core Skills has been added already, but any further changes will have to wait until the 5th grade teacher starts work here in July. If you want to make one trip, you'll probably want to wait until very late July/early August.
                              Michael
                              Memoria Press

Comment

Working...
                              X