Elementary greek 1 - TM - page 29

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elementary greek 1 - TM - page 29

We are pushing through Elementary Greek 1 and I was a little confused about the answers provided on page 29 of the TM (Lesson 9.4) The text requires the child to translate 4 sentences. The first sentence is 'slaves believe'. In the TM the verb believe ends in a 'nu'. Is this correct, or should the ending be an 'iota'? I was confused because 3 of the 4 translations end this way. It seemed inconsistent.
    Catherine

Dd - 13 - 8A
    Dd - 11 - 6A

Re: Elementary greek 1 - TM - page 29

Originally posted by Aquila View Post
    We are pushing through Elementary Greek 1 and I was a little confused about the answers provided on page 29 of the TM (Lesson 9.4) The text requires the child to translate 4 sentences. The first sentence is 'slaves believe'. In the TM the verb believe ends in a 'nu'. Is this correct, or should the ending be an 'iota'? I was confused because 3 of the 4 translations end this way. It seemed inconsistent.
    Unfortunately, this an area where Greek *is* inconsistent. That final -ν is called the "movable nu." and is often, but not always, included when a present tense, 3rd-person plural verb comes at the end of the sentence. The Teacher Key is purposefully including it in some, but not all, sentences for this reason. It your student omits it when it is present in the Key, or vice versa, I would not mark it wrong, but remind them that the nu is common at the end of sentences. The movable nu is explained more fully in Lesson 4, Day 2, final paragraph of that section.

Does that help?
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Comment

Thank you very much, that is so much more clear.

I think I should ask for a greek teacher for Christmas, one that doesn't mind brutal cold winters and hoards of Mosquitos in the summer.
      Catherine

Dd - 13 - 8A
      Dd - 11 - 6A

Comment

Thank you very much, that is so much more clear.

I think I should ask for a greek teacher for Christmas, one that doesn't mind brutal cold winters and hoards of Mosquitos in the summer.
        Ooh, I do love the north, but not mosquitos
        Michael
        Memoria Press

Comment

At least the birds like the Mosquitos and some don't mind the cold. They are happily chirping all summer long, and even in the most brutish of winters the chickadees are tweeting away, while I shiver. There is such a disconnect between them and the polar bears who are so well equipped to handle the cold. By mid winter we are ready for a trip south. We have greatly enjoyed the mid-west and I would love to visit Kentucky one day. I have an image of rolling hills of blue-grass with plenty of horses.
          Catherine

Dd - 13 - 8A
          Dd - 11 - 6A

Comment

At least the birds like the Mosquitos and some don't mind the cold. They are happily chirping all summer long, and even in the most brutish of winters the chickadees are tweeting away, while I shiver. There is such a disconnect between them and the polar bears who are so well equipped to handle the cold. By mid winter we are ready for a trip south. We have greatly enjoyed the mid-west and I would love to visit Kentucky one day. I have an image of rolling hills of blue-grass with plenty of horses.
            Kentucky is beautiful, though I'm probably biased. Come visit us at Sodalitas 2017 and kill two birds with one stone!
            Michael
            Memoria Press

Comment

Working...
            X