FFLatin, Lesson 5: "Calceus" not a men's sandal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FFLatin, Lesson 5: "Calceus" not a men's sandal

Hi! In going over the Chapter 5 lesson of First Form Latin, I noticed that the "calceus" is defined & illustrated as a "men's sandal". I'm pretty sure that, at least in the Rome of antiquity, "calceus" is a word that definitely means a type of shoe with leather that covered the whole foot, in contrast to the strappier "soleae" or "sanadlia" which were sandals. Thanks!
    Ana, mama to
    ds A, 15 yo
    ds N, 10 yo

That is correct that calceus is a full shoe or ankle boot. The term is from calx, heel. Solea is a sandal, basically a sole with straps. Sandalium (a rarer word than solea) is a sandal or slipper, There were different sorts of calcei, e.g., for women -- calcei muliebres.

Just speculating on the idea of calling the calceus a sandal, I do wonder whether there were ever versions with open-toe or open patterns of some sort, even while still covering the heel and most of the foot. Roman writers did comment on how uncomfortably hot the toga and calcei could be in a Roman summer. But you are right that calceus is a shoe and that there are other terms for sandals.

Bonnie

Comment

Working...
    X