Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mammals-Lesson 7 Edentates: Toothless Pangolins

Hi,
    In lesson 7 on edentates, the teacher's manual question #2 states that only anteaters are toothless in the edentate family. This is from "What is a Mammal?" text. However, my avid reader student found in another book that pangolins also do not have teeth. My minimal internet search indicates also that pangolins do not have teeth.

Hi, Amanda.

I reached out to one of the authors of this text, and here is his response to your question:

Yes it is true that pangolins also lack teeth but they don’t belong to the order Edentata (meaning toothless), also known as order Xenarthra (meaning strange joint). Pangolins (order Pholidota) then, while also toothless, do not belong to the order of toothless mammals. A taxonomic nicety if you like!

I hope this is clear.

Let me know if you have further questions for him! I'm sure he will be glad to continue helping!

Tanya

Comment

Thank you for checking into it.

I would like to point out that in The World of Mammals text by MP on page 14-15, the text implies that pangolins are part of the edentate family. This is misleading on the bottom of p. 15 that discusses the characteristics of edentates. In that box, it states pangolins are included as a group of this family.

The MP teacher manual identifies that the only group without teeth in the edentate family is anteaters, but it is discussed in the the text as if pangolins are part of the edentate family.

Thanks

Comment

Amanda,

I reached back out to the author on this, and he agrees with you. We are going to make some changes that will fix this confusion. Thank you so much for reaching out! You have helped us make a better product. (It's your random act of kindness for the week!)

Tanya

Comment

Hi Tanya,
          I'm glad it was helpful. I couldn't believe it when my kiddo really insisted I was wrong! ha
          He's really enjoying the mammals course and loves reading about any resource he can about the various topics.

Comment

Working...
          X