Lesson Plans vs Curriculum Manuals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lesson Plans vs Curriculum Manuals

Hello! This is will be our second year of using MP, but our first with Classical Comp. We wanted to get our MP sea legs last year.😊 I have been looking through the materials and trying to plan out the first few weeks. I have my curriculum manuals for my 9th, 7th, and 5th grader in front of me and I have the 4th and 6th grade ones from last year. Those all seem to be giving me a clearer picture of pacing, both in what is covered each year and in how much to do per week in each grade level. Is there a need to purchase the individual lesson plan downloads or is that something that people usually do if they do not purchase the curriculum manual? It might fall under personal teacher preference, but I thought I'd ask. 😊 Thanks!
    ​​​
    2021-2022 will be our 9th year of home schooling.
    *D 13, 8th grade
    *S 11, 6th grade
    *D 9, 4th grade
    *D 7, 2nd grade
    *S 5, K

All of the above! Some people buy the individual plans rather than a curriculum manual and keep them separated by subject. Others buy the individual plans for any subjects they have customized that aren't in their curriculum manuals and just use them side by side. So it really is personal teacher preference. It sounds like you have enough information to get by confidently without the specific plans. But I'm thinking you should have the Classical Comp plans you need in your 5th grade curriculum manual. Am I not understanding?

Tanya

Comment

The individual lesson plans are basically the same as what is in the manuals. The individual plans are good for times when you are using a level that isn’t in your manual. In your case, you probably have the levels you need, but if you are using, say 4th grade’s Fable in 5th, then the Fable won’t be in the 5th manual. You can either pull out your 4th manual and use it or if you find it more convenient you can get the individual download.
      The only Classical Comp individual lesson plans that would be different than what is in the manual are the “accelerated” ones that do two levels in one year for older beginners.
      Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
      DD, 27, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
      DS, 25, BS '18 mechanical engineering
      DS, 23, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
      (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
      DS, 21, Physics and math major
      DD, 18, dyslexic, 12th grade dual enrolled
      DS, 14, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 9th MPOA diploma student
      DD, 8 , 2nd Future astronaut, robot building space artist

Comment

Also, when you place your order with MP and make a substitution, your sales rep will include individual lesson plans for each of those subjects you buy when you buy a curriculum manual plus the materials for the subject (teacher manual, student workbook, etc). For instance, when my friend transferred into MP in the middle of 7M, she customized her package to include FFL instead of TFL, CC Fable/Narrative instead of Ref/Con, EGR I instead of EGR IV, and CS I instead of CS IV. Not only did she receive downloads of the lesson plans, she also received comb-bound printed copies of those plans with the complete package. She was so impressed. I know that if I need digital downloads of anything, if I've purchased a CM and all of the subjects, I receive individual downloads automatically. This is nice if my daughter is working independently, I can print out and staple the plans so she can transfer quizzes, tests and study goals into her planner. Also, sometimes my student gets ahead (if she continues math over the holiday break to lighten her load during finals week), and having the individual plans allow her to just keep going, crossing out days or checking off boxes, doing the next thing in the guide no matter where we are for the rest of the subjects in the guide.
        Mama of 2, teacher of 3
        SY 22/23
        6A, teaching TFL & CC Chreia/Maxim w/ Elementary Greek Year One
        MP2

Completed MPK, MP1, MP2, 3A, 4A, 5A
        SC B, SC C, SC1 (Phonics/Math)

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
          All of the above! Some people buy the individual plans rather than a curriculum manual and keep them separated by subject. Others buy the individual plans for any subjects they have customized that aren't in their curriculum manuals and just use them side by side. So it really is personal teacher preference. It sounds like you have enough information to get by confidently without the specific plans. But I'm thinking you should have the Classical Comp plans you need in your 5th grade curriculum manual. Am I not understanding?

Tanya
          Sorry for my confusion. 😊 I failed to mention that my three oldest children are all starting CC this year. They are in 9th, 7th, and 5th. I was initially confused by the pacing until I realized that students start each subsequent year by reviewing previous composition levels. As for the lesson plan question, I thought there were lesson plans specifically for an older student doing multiple levels in a year. That said, after spending some time this weekend with all the materials and some MP Youtube videos, I might be forming a plan. 😊 Thank you for all you do!
          *D 13, 8th grade
          *S 11, 6th grade
          *D 9, 4th grade
          *D 7, 2nd grade
          *S 5, K

Comment

Originally posted by momgineer View Post
            The individual lesson plans are basically the same as what is in the manuals. The individual plans are good for times when you are using a level that isn’t in your manual. In your case, you probably have the levels you need, but if you are using, say 4th grade’s Fable in 5th, then the Fable won’t be in the 5th manual. You can either pull out your 4th manual and use it or if you find it more convenient you can get the individual download.
            The only Classical Comp individual lesson plans that would be different than what is in the manual are the “accelerated” ones that do two levels in one year for older beginners.
            Thank you!! I might still end up buying the accelerated plans, so thanks for mentioning those. For now, we are going to jump in and see how the first few weeks go. 😊
            *D 13, 8th grade
            *S 11, 6th grade
            *D 9, 4th grade
            *D 7, 2nd grade
            *S 5, K

Comment

Originally posted by enbateau View Post
              Also, when you place your order with MP and make a substitution, your sales rep will include individual lesson plans for each of those subjects you buy when you buy a curriculum manual plus the materials for the subject (teacher manual, student workbook, etc). For instance, when my friend transferred into MP in the middle of 7M, she customized her package to include FFL instead of TFL, CC Fable/Narrative instead of Ref/Con, EGR I instead of EGR IV, and CS I instead of CS IV. Not only did she receive downloads of the lesson plans, she also received comb-bound printed copies of those plans with the complete package. She was so impressed. I know that if I need digital downloads of anything, if I've purchased a CM and all of the subjects, I receive individual downloads automatically. This is nice if my daughter is working independently, I can print out and staple the plans so she can transfer quizzes, tests and study goals into her planner. Also, sometimes my student gets ahead (if she continues math over the holiday break to lighten her load during finals week), and having the individual plans allow her to just keep going, crossing out days or checking off boxes, doing the next thing in the guide no matter where we are for the rest of the subjects in the guide.
              Thank you!!! To be honest, I am a bit confused about my downloads. I am sure it follows a pattern, but I have at least a few downloads for courses we didn't buy and no lesson plans for a few we did. I have the curriculum manuals for all our grades, but after reading your message and went and checked! Printing off the downloads for your student is a good idea, though. Thanks for the tip!😊
              *D 13, 8th grade
              *S 11, 6th grade
              *D 9, 4th grade
              *D 7, 2nd grade
              *S 5, K

Comment

From time to time the substitution isn't entered perfectly, so if you email [email protected] with your order number(s), they are great about figuring out what you're entitled to receive as a download. You can list what you don't have, and they can get you what you need.
                Mama of 2, teacher of 3
                SY 22/23
                6A, teaching TFL & CC Chreia/Maxim w/ Elementary Greek Year One
                MP2

Completed MPK, MP1, MP2, 3A, 4A, 5A
                SC B, SC C, SC1 (Phonics/Math)

Comment

Working...
                X