Completed I-IV, but still struggling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Completed I-IV, but still struggling

My oldest child homeschooling (going into 11th grade) has completed CC I-IV, and is about to start V. She watches the videos, and completes the assignments, but is still struggling in her writing. She uses flowery language, but forgets content, and often lacks substance. Any suggestions on what I can do to help her improve her writing?

Originally posted by emmylouwho View Post
    My oldest child homeschooling (going into 11th grade) has completed CC I-IV, and is about to start V. She watches the videos, and completes the assignments, but is still struggling in her writing. She uses flowery language, but forgets content, and often lacks substance. Any suggestions on what I can do to help her improve her writing?
    Is she struggling with content in the classical composition assignments or in her other writing assignments outside of CC?
    Dorinda

Plans for 2022-2023
    16th year homeschooling, 13th year with Memoria Press
    DD College Sophomore
    DS 11th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata, MPOA Divine Comedy
    DS 9th grade - Vita Beata Literature/Classical Studies
    DS 4th grade - 4A with Right Start F, Second Form Latin, AAS 5

Comment

Both. Her writing is still rather weak and not fleshed out.

Comment

Some kids do have a harder time transferring the tools learned in CC to their other writing; but if she's struggling within the models themselves I would suspect there is a gap in her understanding or retention. Did you attend Sodalitas in-person or virtually? Abigail Johnson led two sessions on CC I-IV. I've listened to the first one so far and I learned a ton despite having taught CC I-III twice! Maybe watching those sessions would help pinpoint where gaps occurred?
        Jennifer
        Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS18: Graduated and living his dream in the automotive trades
        DS17: MP, MPOA, headed to his favorite liberal arts college this fall
        DS15: MP, MPOA
        DS13: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
        DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
        DD10: SC3
        DD7: MPK

Comment

Hello there!
          I understand that writing at the upper level, we want to see those deep thinking skills come through! May I recommend revisiting the Refutation/Confirmation and focusing JUST on argument invention? If the HOP (Heads of Purpose) are not firmly in place as the means that the mind uses to come up with reasoning regarding the paper's content, then yes, papers will be flowery, but lack direction and depth. It is also very true that some students struggle to connect the skills going from silly arguments about dear Giufa and his new suit with that "Essay on the Causes of Inflation," (ahem), but the latter stages are excellent in assisting students in making the transition to "serious" argument. That being said, it does sound to me as if the heads of purpose have not quite been as deeply engrained as necessary. They really do become the means of argumentation in writing, and students should be fighting over "too much" to say instead of "what to say."
          Thanks jen1134 for the post about the conference. I do suggest, if you need a refresher on Ref/Con and its objectives, and what to look for in mastery of this stage, to listen to the recordings from 2022, also, there is one from 2019, here is the link. It tends to get buried on the MP website 🙃 so I keep it handy.
          https://www.memoriapress.com/streami...hering-videos/
          Finally, getting into the meat of CT will help her see the argumentation and idea invention application as well. The paragraphs of the essay each have a distinct usage, and the HOPs support that purpose in creativity and invention, instead of each paragraph being solely about one head of purpose itself, artificially.
          Regarding the flowery language, CT is also a great time to talk about tone, specifically ethos and pathos. It is a serious stage, with lots of real topics, and writing in a way that will establish oneself as a credible, reasonable arguer (prosecuting attorney, really) who is able to evoke an emotional response from the readers (jurors) is excellent practice as well in hitting the right tone for each kind of paper.

When you have a chance to review those videos, or if you have further questions, let's keep talking and make sure your student connects all those invaluable dots!
          Abigail

Comment

Originally posted by jen1134 View Post
            Some kids do have a harder time transferring the tools learned in CC to their other writing; but if she's struggling within the models themselves I would suspect there is a gap in her understanding or retention. Did you attend Sodalitas in-person or virtually? Abigail Johnson led two sessions on CC I-IV. I've listened to the first one so far and I learned a ton despite having taught CC I-III twice! Maybe watching those sessions would help pinpoint where gaps occurred?
            I attended in person, and actual went to Abigail's sessions, and even had the pleasure of enjoying lunch with her.

Comment

Originally posted by emmylouwho View Post

I attended in person, and actual went to Abigail's sessions, and even had the pleasure of enjoying lunch with her.
              Perfect! We love Mrs. Johnson here!
              Jennifer
              Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS18: Graduated and living his dream in the automotive trades
              DS17: MP, MPOA, headed to his favorite liberal arts college this fall
              DS15: MP, MPOA
              DS13: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
              DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
              DD10: SC3
              DD7: MPK

Comment

Working...
              X