Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abigail Johnson
    replied
    Also, Memoria Press, I've just been informed, highly recommends https://www.typingclub.com/
    All the very best to you!

Leave a comment:

• Abigail Johnson
    replied
    Hello!
    I grew up on Mavis Beacon, but that runs you $50 nowadays! Typing Instructor is also a great program, and it is about $20. It gets good reviews also. There are a wide variety of programs out there, many of them FREE. As long as you choose a course that emphasizes repetition and accuracy you will be fine. Make sure your students are using correct fingering. :-)

For papers, I recommend MLA formatting, and really, there are so many websites that cover it thoroughly that you need not ever buy the manual that we had to in yesteryear!. Purdue's OWL (Online Writing Lab) is a great place to start.
    Blessings,
    Abigail

Leave a comment:

• mom2-3 boys
    replied
    Abigail - Do you have a typing/fingering course you recommend? Also, do you have a book you recommend for formatting a paper with Bibliography, footnotes, etc. (APA/MLA handbook)? What is best resource for formatting research papers (i.e. science topic)
    Thank you,
    Laura Smith

Leave a comment:

• Abigail Johnson
    replied
    Hello and Happy New Year!
    In my own house I do not let my kids type anything before they have had a proper course in fingering, and then I do allow and encourage them to type work. I took their school to task a couple of years ago for requiring typed work before proper instruction. Once students are proficient typers, I think it's perfectly alright to type a rough draft and then make edits to it, instead of "re-writing" from scratch. However, I am a big fan of printing out a rough draft so that I can easily make all of the editing marks! Trying to edit for mechanics and style with Google comments is not a personal favorite, as it is too time consuming. Also, it is good to go ahead and have students do their variations and such things in their workbooks, to make sure that they are doing them thoroughly ;-)

All of that being said, I think that having a student who is proficient in soft studying skills is just as valuable as being proficient in typing skills. We want to make sure that students are still being very thorough and are dedicated to following the directions, so personalities matter too, as in all things.
    Blessings, and happy typing!
    Abigail

Leave a comment:

• Jnmelch
    started a topic Typing CC work

Typing CC work

Hello,
    Is there a good age/grade level to begin allowing students to type their work for CC? Would it be acceptable to have them edit a paraphrase directly in a document in order to form a final draft from what they have already written or should they be starting fresh? Understanding of course that younger students benefit greatly from the handwriting practice, might older ones reap a benefit by typing their essays? I'm thinking that would begin to prepare them for the future (high school & college papers), but if there is a compelling reason to continue having them write their compositions out by hand, I'd like to consider it! Thanks!
Working...
X