HS Comp II Placement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS Comp II Placement

I'm trying to determine if High School Composition II via MPOA is the best fit for both of my children.

My rising 11th grader completed HS Comp I this year (10th grade), so it seems like HS Comp II is the next step.

My rising 9th grader completed through Ref/Con this year via MPOA. I'm assuming her next best step is HS Comp II. True?

Before I spend the big $$ to put them both in the same writing class, I want to ensure this is the best path.

Any thoughts or opinions?

Thank you!
    Lauren
    Mama to 5 Sweet Ones

2021-2022:
    11th grade DS: Mix of MP materials, MPOA, and BJU
    9th grade DD: Mostly 9M, MPOA, and French
    7th grade DD: 7M
    5th Grade DD: 5M
    4.5 yo DS: Outside as much as possible beating on things with sticks; MP Jr. K and Mom made fun things

Originally posted by MamaHill View Post
    I'm trying to determine if High School Composition II via MPOA is the best fit for both of my children.

My rising 11th grader completed HS Comp I this year (10th grade), so it seems like HS Comp II is the next step.

My rising 9th grader completed through Ref/Con this year via MPOA. I'm assuming her next best step is HS Comp II. True?

Before I spend the big $$ to put them both in the same writing class, I want to ensure this is the best path.

Any thoughts or opinions?

Thank you!
    Lauren
    Hi Lauren!

My oldest boys did the Ref/Con > HS Comp II path and it worked out great! The current junior will have a comp-free year for Senior Seminar and the current junior/senior was able to complete the progym.

My current 8th grader needed to review Chreia so he did the Chreia/RefCon combo class this year and will go into HS Comp II as a freshman in the fall.

HTH!
    Jennifer
    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2021-2022
    DS18: Almost done!
    DS17: MP, MPOA
    DS15: MP, MPOA
    DS12: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
    DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
    DD9: SC3
    DD6: MPK

Comment

Hello!
      I agree that for older students the transition from your reputation and confirmation into high School composition level II is a very natural, well-suited one. It works really beautifully for older students and younger ones ready for a fast pace.
      The only caveat I wanted to throw in for your consideration, and you know your student best, is that a rising 9th grader has plenty of time left in high school to not have to go through the upper levels at an accelerated pace.
      The refutation and confirmation stage class, the stand alone, has 2 and 3 weeks between assignments, versus in high school composition II there is a paper due almost every single week. That is the only thing that I wanted to throw out there for your consideration. You might look into a more moderate pace if you do not have a naturally very strong young writer who is ready for that kind of challenge.
      Let me know if I can clarify anything for you!
      Abigail

Comment

I always forget about that difference between the classes! If our rising 9th grader had another online class, or didn't have a good outlook on composition, I definitely wouldn't want him in the faster paced class. It can be a challenging pace even for my older guys sometimes.
        Jennifer
        Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2021-2022
        DS18: Almost done!
        DS17: MP, MPOA
        DS15: MP, MPOA
        DS12: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
        DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
        DD9: SC3
        DD6: MPK

Comment

Thank you both! This is very helpful.

While my rising 9th grader is a very strong writer and enjoys words, she has a heavier load next year and that makes me think the regular pace of Common Topic might be better. So what might her high school progression look like if she didn't do Comp II next year? Would this be correct?

9th grade: Common Topic
          10th Grade: Encomium, Invective & Comparison
          11th Grade: HS Comp III
          12th Grade: Either no comp or Senior Thesis

Does this sound reasonable?

Thank you!
          Lauren
          Mama to 5 Sweet Ones

2021-2022:
          4.5 yo DS: Outside as much as possible beating on things with sticks; MP Jr. K and Mom made fun things

Comment

My daughter had a good question -

How long are the papers for Common Topic and Encomium? Are they similar in length and intensity to Ref/Con?

Thanks -
            Mama to 5 Sweet Ones

2021-2022:

Comment

Hello,
              Your sequence sounds excellent. That is precisely what I have recommended to others. Regarding the papers themselves they are just as long as refutation confirmation, and they involve a lot of deep thinking and development of your arguments with real life situations. Common topic focuses on calling for punishment for a hypothetically guilty person guilty of real life crimes like tyranny, sleeping on duty, abortionist, etc. They are "real" criticisms instead of the practice ones we do in Ref/Con, with the essay looking similar to the closing arguments for the prosecuting attorney during the sentencing portion of a trial, if that makes sense. So, in length and development they are similarly rigorous, but they are definitely a different style than ref/con.
              Abigail

Comment

Working...
              X